craftyhunnypie Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 Well I've been the haidressers this afternoon. Was booked in for cut & highlights as usual. Layers in my long hair, blow dried & straightened. But I wanted some whacky plum coloured bits put in it - Live whilst still young. She said well they will fade & wouldn't do them - so I feel really let down & look the same as usual. I really wanted those plum bits put in. A bit of whackyness. If they faded, they would only be lighter plum. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. So now I am tempted to either have some put in at a different hairdressers - but what do I say at my next appointment? Or do I buy some little kit & put some in myself (I can do this). Or do I change hairdressers? I'm so poooooood off. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 how odd - if you were willing to pay and it's your hair I don't know why she wouldn't do it. I'd do it anyway If you are happy to do it at home then try it. It just sounds like she couldn't be bothered which is not good news for a hairdresser! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
girlsmum Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 What happened to "the customer is always right?" If she warned you that they would fade then that has covered her "bum". If you accept that this will/ may happen and still want to go ahead i can see no reason not to Girlsmum Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted April 2, 2009 Author Share Posted April 2, 2009 Your thoughts on this are exactly was I was thinking! I did feel rushed today also, even though there was only me in for the works & another woman for a cut & blow. Another lady came in as I was going, but I saw her 20 mins later round town - so must have just been a wash & blow. Lazy devils! Hmph! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
girlsmum Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 Change your hairdresser Girlsmum Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 I think you should ask your hairdresser again and if they still refuse go somewhere else. I can understand their reluctance if they think it will fade but as others have said you are the customer... They have to warn you about it but then again do they refuse to dye really dark hair blonde because the roots will be really noticeable quickly? I doubt it! Be wary about having a go on your own,unless it is a wash out type. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted April 2, 2009 Author Share Posted April 2, 2009 (edited) I was thinking of a wash out type, as I've seen many little bottles & sachets of colours. I used to put bits of purple in my hair - that used to look nice for a special night out. But I'd like it to last a little longer. I bet they don't tell people who want an all over plum colour that it will fade. I am blonde & have 2 tones of blonde & a warm brown put into in using foils. I could always go the college for them to put me a few 'bits' in. They are very good & if they won't do it, no one will! My hairdresser also said today that my hair was dry - I'm sorry but I know when it's dry & it was like silk. The best condition it's been it for a long time since I stopped using Tigi bedhead (their shampoo) & changed to Pantene smooth & sleek. I was a bit put out before they even started on my hair. Emma.x Edited April 2, 2009 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 Going to the college is a good idea Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GKH Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 i think you should change your hairdresser too - even though its traumatic Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 Change your hairdresser. I have plum streaks in mine - everyone notices I have purple hair and yes it does fade but not that quickly. Kids today said I have purple in my hair still and I had it done last holiday - 5 to 6 weeks ago. By the time I get them done again they will have faded to look pinky brown or start to blend in with the blonde but I'll also have roots grown under the blonde streaks. One of my friends actually has her hair bleached right out then dyed PINK - think Stephanie in lazy town pink. Yes she has to have it done about every 6 weeks to keep it like that but her roots are DARK so she needs to. She pays a VERY expensive hairdresser good money to do it properly and give her the right advice about when to do it and when to quit - its damaging to the hair. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheGirlsMum Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 I think its time to change your hairdresser. I think somebody else likes my name Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted April 2, 2009 Author Share Posted April 2, 2009 Tyrones mum in Coronation Street had pink hair - I like it! Thanks Pengy. I go every 6 to 7 weeks to have my hair done - so if your plum streaks last 6 weeks, that would do for me. I like being a bit diverse from the norm! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 I have red hair and had it cut to shoulder length a few years ago and the bottom two inches dyed BRIGHT red, it looked cool as heck I had to promise to use a colour care shampoo to stop it fading (I was using Head and Shoulders which they said would strip the colour) Change hairdressers and go for it, it sounds and it would be a shame if you didn't get what you wanted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted April 2, 2009 Author Share Posted April 2, 2009 Redwing, that is the sort of thing I love! It's the sort of thing that once you reach a certain age - you can't get away with so much. That's why I want something different now! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 Change your hairdresser Girlsmum No, don't change your hairdresser. My mate Simone, is a first class hairdresser, and has attended to the hair of various celebrities. She's honest. If she thinks you'll look a swine she will tell you, and suggest other options to make you look good. Ignore the likes of her at your peril How many people do you see as you wander about town.... and let's be honest..... you think to yourself......'You look like a pig in a wig.' ? I know i do. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 2, 2009 Share Posted April 2, 2009 I have red hair and had it cut to shoulder length a few years ago and the bottom two inches dyed BRIGHT red, it looked cool as heck I had to promise to use a colour care shampoo to stop it fading (I was using Head and Shoulders which they said would strip the colour) Change hairdressers and go for it, it sounds and it would be a shame if you didn't get what you wanted. I saw some pics on here, who i think might have been 'Redwing' ? The hair looked fabulous and natural looking. This slim woman with long, wavy, natural looking red hair? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 Why not try some hair mascara first? If you don't like the result, you can wash it out, and you could play with the colours till you find the one you like before doing something more permanent. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted April 3, 2009 Author Share Posted April 3, 2009 Excuse me - I would not have looked like a pig in a wig. It would have been same colour (Blonde), same cut, with just a few thin plum bits. So if I were to be a pig in a wig - that's what I must be already! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 Can I just add in that I used to use Pantene and my friend who is my hairdresser couldn't understand why my hair colour kept fading so fast. She then asked me what shampoo I used and when I said Pantene she shouted at me. She then told all the other girls in the shop and they all held their hands up in horror Apparently it coats your hair in gunk and then the colour doesn't coat the hair properly and so comes off really quickly. I can't see why you couldn't have plum in your hair. They did a lady whilst I was at the shop and she had blonde hair and they put bright pink in. In fact I was thinking of having a red/plum colour put in mine. I have a brown on my roots (damn grey) and then a copper and blonde. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 Sounds like she just couldn't be bothered Hon. I had deep red streaks (think claret ) in my hair a couple of years ago and loved it. They did tell me though that red fades the quickest, but it was still looking good (just not so deep) 6 weeks later. As some of the others have said, try a temporary solution first to see how it goes, either that or get some of those weave/stick in hair extensions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 Depends on how much you trust your headresser, really: they are supposed to be good at telling what will suit you, but that isn't what she said: she only said it would fade. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 LOL! Bless ya heart, Craftyhunny pie. Glad you've got a sense of humour and didn't take offence. I'm sure you'd look great, even if you did go against hair-dressers advice Mind you, i bet you're like myself ie no saint And i bet you too walk through town thinking 'Pig in a wig' And don't say you don't! xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ChickenJo Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 I agree with Damien Im afraid ... the best hairdressers are the ones who know what suits you. I think the temp colour idea is the best one ... that way you give it a go, go back and show her how good it looks if you like it and just wash it out if you hate it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 My hair has been all colours over the years, but at 43 i'm quite happy with the grey now. My worst mistake was back in the 80's, i had grown my hair long and dyed it black alla Marc Almond. I looked like i had been dug up. Absolutely dreaful Don't know about Marc Almond, but looked more like Angelica Houston in the Adams Family Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted April 3, 2009 Author Share Posted April 3, 2009 I saw plenty of pigs in wigs today. shhhhh I don't think bad about anyone. I have pink clip in extensions that I wore last week. They looked cool. Now I want to look a rock chick! It's not red I want - it's more a dark, dark purple blacky purple- not red at all. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...