The Dogmother

Claret's chicks

Only a quick on with no photos, thanks for saving it Martin!

The chooks all seem to freerange well together now and move in and out of each others houses happily., with the big hens eating all the growers pellets, which are for the chicks :roll:

Herbert is now enormous and towers above his surrogate mum, he has some impressive headgear too. The other barnie which I thought was possibly male, now looks like it definitely is - having a bigger comb and miniature wattles. I htink that Lavinia is getting a bit fed up with mothering them now - she's done her job and done it very well, they don't really need her now except to cuddle up to at night.

The plan is for the two males to go back to Lesley & Carl's farm when they have juggled the others round and found some room. I am happy to hang onto them for the time being provided that they don't start crowing :shock:

We will keep the female barnie, which Rosie has called Betty Spaghetti ! I hope to integrate her and Lavinia back into the eglu lot.

Chick and Penny have been in with the big gals for a bit now as Penny was looking increasingly annoyed with her giant baby. Chick has now taken to sleeping under Maggie. Fickle thing that it is. Should Chick be a girl she'll want a new home in a few weeks. Say just in time for christmas.....