DucktorWho

Green Poo

Nice title.

I was a little concerned about Betty's poop as it seems more moist than the Elsie's which looks like the Omlet definition of Perfect Poop. Betty's also has a green tinge and is the shape of a long string of poo - worm shaped even. It's consistence seems to be paste-like. I wasn't *overly* worried as I thought maybe she was eating too much grass or it was the shock of moving in but I thought I'd check it out on the forum just in case.

I read all of the poo threads listed in the ailments sticky and a couple of them mentioned that green poo was definite cause for concern :shock: None of them said why though. What does it mean? Should I be worrying or should I give her a couple of days to calm down?

She did seem to be eating lots of grass yesterday as she is still getting used to the pellets and poultry mix, but today I think she has been eating more of the mix. In herself she seems perky enough, which is surely a good thing? The colour is more of a fresh cowpat kind of green than a bright green if that helps identify the cause.

Here's hoping it's just down to an excess of green stuff.

Green watery diarrhoea is a cause for concern because it can be a sign of illness. Greeny ordinary poo is usually fine!! Sounds like a case of getting used to new foodstuffs I think.

If they show any other signs of illness - listlessness, not eating or drinking, droopy comb, withdrawn and hunched - worry a bit but sounds like they're fine now.

mmm ... well to add to the visual delights of this thread I'd just like to mention noises. When Edna does a poo she does so very discreetly but Mavis on the other hand can be heard at the other end of the garden "squelching" it out :shock::shock:

I'm rather concerned that I shall never be able to entertain in my garden again - at least not in polite company :lol:

Apologies for dragging this thread up from the depths, but I have more green poo issues. (Well not ME, obviously :lol: )

Betty Chicken hasn't laid a 'proper' egg for around 3 months or more, since she had a big moult. She is over 3 so she's probably finished with all that now. She has occasionally laid yolks and crumpled shells which make her downcast for a couple of days but it's been a while since we've had even that.

The problem is I haven't seen evidence of a normal poo from her for a long time. When I've seen her poo, which isn't all that frequent, it has been very watery, no dark solid bits, but some white bits. Her bottom is quite messy - I cut the worst bits off yesterday and we're going to attempt to bath her today (that will be interesting...she's not all that keen on being touched as it is!)

Yesterday when I looked in the eglu for signs of Poo-ing there was bright green stuff on the white. I thought this was perhaps some mould or something growing on it - I clean it out regularly but it has been warm. I cleaned and disinfected the whole thing but when I have looked again today there is more white stuff and the bright green is on it again so I wouldn't have thought mould would have had time to grow so maybe it is coming out of her like this? I can take a photo if needed.

Before Christmas last year my 6.5 yr old budgie had a similar thing - very watery droppings, sometimes with bright green on. I took him to the vet at the time and she said he looked healthy, and he is very chirpy and like himself, but she gave him antibiotics and said if that didn't fix it, to just use the avol mixture from the pet shop to firm up the droppings as it wouldn't do him any harm.

Betty is happy enough in herself, still trotting around and chatting with me. I've cut out all treats bar porridge and bio-yoghurt to see if that helps.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I would guess that she has got worms.

Green poo often is an indicator of that, and the dirty knickers.

If she free ranges and eats slugs worms etc, then it is a strong possibility.

Why not give her some Flubenvet, which is a good all round wormer.

Oh, I should probably add that I'm not sure if she is eating her chicken food as I haven't seen her eating from the peanut and when I put some in front of her she isn't interested. Yesterday she has suddenly gone off her porridge and bio yoghurt but as a test I gave her a raisin and a couple of sunflower seeds and she happily ate those.

I'll get some grapes and worm her with those and if she is no better I might see if I can take her to the vet. (Although I must admit I'm scared of doing that as when I took Elsie to the vet she got 10 times worse with the stress of travelling)