Griffin Posted May 24, 2009 Author Share Posted May 24, 2009 Will take photos when I've cheered up later This morning I've had to cull the splash Poland Poor little thing was so pretty but didn't know which way was up. It's head was thrown backwards and resting on it's back, it fell onto it's back all the time and when I helped it upright it just went in circles before landing on it's back again. It wouldn't have been able to eat or drink so I had no choice I'm very concerned about the Orp that hatched this morning and the weak Dorking from yesterday doesn't look right either. The good news is that all the others that hatched are in the brooder, eating, drinking, pooping and doing very well. This has been my worst hatch ever and is enough to put me off for life. I just have to keep reminding myself there are some very happy little chicks in my brooder this morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Electricbarbarella Posted May 24, 2009 Share Posted May 24, 2009 so sorry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
atsw Posted May 24, 2009 Share Posted May 24, 2009 One of the Orps looks as if it might have spraddle legs. If it's still the same in the morning it'll be sporting a plaster on it's legs. Sorry to read things haven't gone too well overnight for you. I read with interest your note about the Orp with spraddle legs. One of the hatchlings that arrived with us yesterday has odd legs (looks like it's doing the splits) and can't really stand up very well. I've posted a note and picture in the "Chicken Clinic" asking for help/advice (see here). If you get a moment, could you take a look and tell me if this is what your Orp looks like too? Thanks Andrew Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 24, 2009 Share Posted May 24, 2009 Sorry about your poor weak ones and the ones you've lost, it must be very traumatic but congratulations on the others and love the pictures. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted May 24, 2009 Share Posted May 24, 2009 I am so sorry to read about the weak ones I am sure you did all you can so please dont feel sad. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 24, 2009 Share Posted May 24, 2009 So sorry to hear about the ones you couldn't save but you've done a sterling job with the others so I hope they help you stay positive . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 24, 2009 Author Share Posted May 24, 2009 Funny legged Orp seems to have gained a lot more strength in his little legs overnight and is now bounding around just the same as the other Orp I'm very pleased because it was just one more thing I could've done without having to contend to and worry about. In the brooder there are 3 Dorkings, 2 black Orps, 2 lavender Aracaunas and my little blue Poland. Will have to go take pics, they're lovely and I'm very proud of them. The remaining Dorking & Orp are still in the incubator. Dorking seems happy enough but is severely lacking in co-ordination, shakes it's head and almost drowns itself in it's efforts to drink and I don't think it's going to get much better. I keep putting off the inevitable hoping that next time I check on them there will have been an improvement but I don't think they will. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 24, 2009 Author Share Posted May 24, 2009 Better news Something inside told me it wasn't the right time to cull them this morning. They're not 100%, far from it, but they were perky enough this afternoon so I decided to put them in the brooder with the others in the hope their spirits would be lifted by all the activity of their siblings. They've each made attempts to eat, seem to be enjoying the company and are now fast asleep under the electric hen. I really don't think either of them will make it but for now they're doing ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
atsw Posted May 24, 2009 Share Posted May 24, 2009 Excellent news. Fingers crossed for you and them . Andrew Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 25, 2009 Author Share Posted May 25, 2009 The poorly black Orp is doing heaps better. I've seen it eating and drinking, it's co-ordination is improved and it's not so wobbley. No real change with the Dorking. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 25, 2009 Author Share Posted May 25, 2009 Poorly black Orp is much better today Has been leading the gang at their new game, leaping on and off the electric hen I'm so pleased! It's a bit smaller than the other two Orps but I'm sure will catch up. Sadly I had to cull the poorly Dorking this afternoon. It was struggling to stand up, just lay down all the time with it's eyes closed. I really did feel it'd had enough. This afternoon I've been speaking to an incubation expert and he believes the cause of all the problems is the temperature of the incubator. It's supposed to be set to the right temperature but it must be slightly out. The chicks got cooked too much, got too big and couldn't turn around in their shells to get out. Makes sense I suppose. I don't think I want to try again though. Culling those chicks and having so many dead in their shells is very very upsetting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...