Cow and Chicken

Still pecking - will it ever stop?

Hi,

We are trying to introduce a new chicken to our established two we got from omlet. it has been a week now and she is still getting pecked badly by our gingernut ranger, our other chicken never bothered pecking her at all.

She is kept seperate when they are in the run as she was getting pecked so badly but they all free range together and sleep in the eglu at night together (although she does get pecked when they are free ranging but can run away better).

She has been made to bleed a few times and we have put on some stockholm tar to try to help, my question is how long will it be before she stops getting pecked? or what is the longest we should wait before we give up?

Thanks.

Jo and Robert

(green eglu)

GNR Tallulah

PP Mabel

GNR Dolly (our new one)

Sometimes it takes a while, I assume dependant on how the pecked chicken reacts - if she tries to stick up for herself, then I guess it could take longer. I think as they are happy to freerange, and sleep together, then the worst should be over. The pecking on the run could just be down to habit now. Perhaps you may need to fit a bumper bit to the peckers beak, till she forgets the habit.

If you have a look in the 'Clinic' section, there will be details opf where you can get them from.

Good Luck!

Try not to worry too much - we did the same thing about a month ago - our ginger turned evil for the first 10 days or so but there are getting on fine now, 4 weeks later. Elle is always last for treats but at least Ginge leaves her alone now and there isnt that horrible squawking all the time. It is horrible but is natural - they have to establish a pecking order at some point with any new arrival and its better to get it over and done with! I did find that even at the worst of times, they were fine at night together and when they were free ranging - it was only when they were in the omlet run that the squabbles really broke out!

jayne

Thanks for your replies, they made us feel a bit better about how long it is taking!

It is funny but the new chicken Dolly and the one that pecks her all the time Tallulah snuggle up together in the eglu at night, i just thought they would sleep opposite ends :D

Thanks again

Joanne and Robert.

(green eglu)

GNR Tallulah

PP Mabel

GNR Dolly