Tammy27

Chicken advice please

Hello,

I impulsively bought my two chickens last week then ordered and eglu, then a neighbour said that the house deeds say no poultry, I checked and it does, I am going to pretend I don't have the deeds anymore! I rang my local council and they say fine nice idea no problem if any complaints they would be told the same. What should I do, keep my head down or cancel the eglu and return the chickens???

Also one of them makes quite a racket when trying to lay, is she having problems, someone said feed boiled egg shells to help stop them being egg bound???

I'm new to all this and the kids love it :D

Hi Tammy!

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! Addictive aren't they?

I would be tempted to keep your head down. If you are on speaking terms with your neighbours, I would also recommend a little "present" of some eggs. They will not mind you having them in the slightest afterwards adn will be unlikely to complain!

If you go to the section on eggs, there is loads of info in there about whether to feed supplements for soft shelled egg layers, but the chances are your girls are just getting into the swing of it, and all will be fine!

Good luck and do keep us posted!

I looked at the deed issue too in preparpation for busy bodies and it wasnt that clear anyway and if the council say its fine thats fine. Most people have mortgages anyway so the deeds are in effect owned by the building society, so unless they complain again (I am assuming you may have a mortgage(or not??) but just tell them the mortgage company own your house , then she wont know who you are mortgaged with anyway.

Thats only if they start again. I think if most people start digging into their deeds and covenants etc there are many old restrictions

I have a big pond(listed as a moat) and if anyone in our village wanted to water their animals they could technically do it! But it was put on many years ago.

Good luck and enjoy your chickens, lots of people in cities have them in their back yards, what about rabbits . Guinea pigs and dogs etc cats etc etc so chillo ignore and enjoy. You never know when you may need a good neighbour.

so enjoy..

indie

Hi Tammy 27!

Glad you're having such fun with your new ladies.

Others have given you some good advice re the deeds etc, so I won't add my twopenny's worth!

It can be quite painful for hens when they start to lay and tends to get easier as they get into the swing of things.

If you feel she needs more calcium (ie if it's taking her a very long time to lay or if the egg shells are weak and thin) I'd suggest giving her limestone flour (from horse suppliers) mixed with a little cod liver oil into their pellets or meal.

Alternatively you can add Zolcal-D liquid calcium supplement to their drinking water.

Although baked eggshells sounds natural because it came from the hen in the first instance, my vet claims that it's not easy for the hens to absorb the calcium from them again.

Enjoy your girls!

Thank you all so much for your advice, we are enjoying them although wasn't expecting so much poo! We also have a one year old boxer, any advice on how to stop her playing with them to death, we are keeping them separate at the moment, they have to take turns in the garden.

My immediate neighbour I have already fallen out with so he will definately complain but the council say they will just say the same as they said to me that there is no law against it! Time will tell with regard to all the other neighbours (who we do get on with).

Our 'girls' are pure bread light sussex, whatever that means. they are already getting used to us they are funny and put themselves to bed at night in their make shift house (dog's kennel) poor dog!

:dance: