feemcg

Stinky!

Skye, our new white (brown!) chicken was so dirty and smelly I couldn't leave her like that. She was stinking out the whole run so we brought her in this morning and sponged her down in a tiny bit of baby shampoo. I think she had been dust bathing in cow poo or something! Think I got the worst of it, blow dried her then dusted her with Diatom. She still smells so I may repeat the process in a few days (she was very well behaved) Then got Iona out as presumed she needed a bath too but surprisingly she didn't smell so just dusted her. Never thought I'd be bathing and blow-drying chickens!

No Clare, its not her poo - that looks fairly normal! Her back feathers, from the top of her head down are completely matted and covered in thick ?bird poo, ?cow poo or something equally as smelly. Some of it seems sticky like chewing gum! First bath and her head and sides look whiter but down her back is still brown. So she's getting dunked again in a couple of days!

Her 'underneath' feathers are all white and fluffy. When I went to collect her she looked dirty - this guys chickens are outside most of the time I think (when I got the other girls they came out of a big dry barn and were clean and healthy looking) Maybe I should have taken them back once I had a good look at them but then what would happen to them? I feel they're mine now and I want to clean them up, feed them well etc. I know its nothing compared to the state of poor battery hens, just a bit dissapointed.

I know where you're coming from; whenever I've picked up chooks, they never smell like my chickens - it takes about a week for them to smell the same. I think it's because I use garlic in their food that mine don't smell much at all.

I have heard that poorly chooks can smell odd too, so just check her over.

Edited by Guest