Parsley

New chooks, advice please

Hi

Yesterday I got my Sugar and Spice, two splash orpington bantam pullets (I hope!) which are 9 weeks old. They are currently in a well shaded greenhouse while I wait for my eglu - they were a bit unexpected but too good an opportunity to miss.

One looks a little ruffled around her neck and I am worried I might have a feather plucker in the other one. Would they start that young or do little ones go through a chick to adult moult? There are a couple of feathers in the greenhouse today but I have not seen any evidence and no pecking etc. The greenhouse is fairly large so lots for them to scratch around in so boredom should not be a problem.

Also, how early can you start to worm them and is there anything else I need to be thinking of?

I have always had POL in the past so am being a bit overprotective of my little girls. They are eating and drinking well and are very friendly little things, still have the chick cheap!

Many thanks.

They don't go through a proper moult until they are older but they will still be getting some adult feathers in as well as establishing the pecking order so feathers will be lost dont panic

You can start to worm them young I think but I have some 11 week olds and will probably wait until they are a bit older say 16 weeks, I don't think there is any logic in my thinking though!