clucky h

Alternative anti-peck remedies

In the last day or so it's become apparent that all is not harmonious among our four girls, and Lucille is gradually losing her knickers to a pecker. (Sorry if that looks a bit rude.)

So, I need an anti-pecking spray. My problem is that we live in Belgium, and the chickeny shops around here don't have any and don't plan on ordering any soon. Omlet don't seem to deliver to the EU, so I'm a bit stuck as to how to get hold of it.

Lots of people round here keep chickens, and they advise smearing dirty engine oil on poor Lucille but I am not keen on this idea at all. I was wondering if spraying her with vinegar might help?

Does anyone have any better suggestions? I am still looking for a decent shop, but am not feeling confident of finding one.

Thanks, h.

You can try searching for Ukadex which is a French product. Maybe you'll find a stockist a little closer to home. Failing that could you find a bumpa bit or anti becking ring to fit onto the pecker?

Good luck!

Thanks moochoo!

I will look out for that, also for a bumpa bit - I was ready to try anything they might have, but they sold nothing. Annoyingly, my OH regards it as just a bit of chicken rough-and-tumble and thinks I'm being neurotic, so he didn't seize the shop assistant by the scruff of the neck and shout 'Order some for us!' (I cannot do this as I can't speak much Flemish yet).

Perhaps we have the only naughty hen in Belgium and there's no demand for them here.

:lol: at 'bombe repulsive' and Phlegmish!

Both Lucille and I are now covered in malt vinegar. Lucille was most offended and then tried to eat the sprayed feathers. Have I just turned her into a tasty treat for the pecker? :shock:

Vicks VapoRub is a stroke of genius!

Thank you both very much.

Hello again.

The problem persists and I'm at my wits' end about it.

The malt vinegar didn't work. The Vick's didn't work. I tried distracting the hens with various exciting things but they were first frightened of them and then ignored them. I bought some Ukadex (had it shipped from England at huge expense!) and covered myself and Lucille in it. Repeatedly.

This morning I doused her with Ukadex again and have just looked out the window and Lucille is lying in her dust bath while the other hens peck away at her. So much for the Ukadex!

She's generally spritely but her poor bum is red and bald and the feathers on her back look generally scraggy where they've been pulled.

It's all three other hens who peck, so I can't see that separating them will be effective. I'm ordering some Gentian Violet in the hope that might at least make the bald bits less attractive, but I don't have much faith that it will work.

I've seriously considered bits, but I have a worry: won't it stop the chickens eating grass? Surely they need to close their beaks to pull it? Our hens free range and grass forms a significant part of their diet, so it seems cruel to prevent them from eating it for a long period of time.

If anyone can offer me any advice I'd be really grateful. I think Lucille would be too.

Thanks!

I think you probably need to rsort to the bits, at least for awhile, to see if that resolves it. I'm not sure if mine can still eat grass with theirs on, but they are eating - they have full crops in the evening. I did have to take one bit off as the hen seemed to be losing weight and her crop was empty, but the other two have coped fine. After a while you could try removing the bits to see if that has worked :? I didn't rate Ukadex either. Unless applied liberally every day they were just as bad again next day :roll: