red

Waynetta Slob - the hen!

My new hen Doris - a cuckoo maran - is big and fat with a smokers cough - she seemed slim and healthy when she was running away from the man with the big net at the breeders but now that I've got her home she is the epitomy of the slob-lifestyle :roll:

(1) Should I be worried about her coughing/sneezing?

(2) Should I be worried about her size?

You're quite right - I haven't really picked her up and given her a good inpection yet so there may well be a lot of feathers but she just looks so very big compared to Rita ... and Mavis is even smaller still.

I don't know a lot about Marans (which is what fat Doris is) but I have read that they can be lazy :roll: I'll pick her up tomorrow to see just how much is feather and just how much is fat :wink:

It's her smokers cough that worries me the most :?

Hi Red,

My chicken book lists three respiratory type diseases which I'll list below:

Infectious Coryza

Bacterial infection

Birds give impression of having a severe cold - heavy breathing and wheezy

Swollen eyelids and runny nostrils

Lots of sneezing

Infectious so will spread between birds.

Treatment = antibiotics

The Common Cold

NO swollen eyelids but may have runny nose (which may lead to them having their beaks open to help breathe)

Easy to cure. Treatment available from vets and pet shops

Chronic Respiratory Disease/bronchitis (CRD)

Chicken huddled up making hawking or humming noises

Adult chickens are more resistant than young chicks so seldom fatal in adults.

No cure but chickens can be vaccinated against it

If it doesn't sound like any of these, perhaps it has something stuck in its throat?

Sorry can't be of more help, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Doris

Thanks Lorna, that's helpful - I'm going to take her out the run and give her a good once over and I'll also give the breeder a ring to let them know/ask them. They are a very reputable breeder and so I'm confident they will be helpful (except the owner is away and he's the most helpful one) - they are vaccinated against absolutely everything apparently so hopefully it's something that will pass. I'll have a good look at her eyelids tomorrow.

We also have a big ,fat hen with no manners - her nickname is Hilda Hoover Hag! :lol:

She throws all her food around and circles around the bowl with her bulky body trying to prevent the other two dainty ladies from getiing their porridge.

I suppose like humans, chickens are all different.

Hope her smokers cough is sorted out soon.

The Cuckoo Maran is primarily an eating bird, isn't it? And eating birds are bred for their capacity to put on weight. My Cochin is also an eating bird, and she is very fat indeed. I don't think she can help it.

But I am sorry to hear that your hen is a smoker. Try to get her to stop, but in the meantime, whatever you do, don't give her phosphorus (the homoeopathic remedy recommended in another thread to keep hens calm when fireworks are being let off), or she could go up in smoke.

My new hen Doris - a cuckoo maran - is big and fat with a smokers cough

My mum swore by the patches when she tried to give up smoking, and it got rid of her cough failry quickly.

Perhaps they make 'Chickenottelle' patches...... :lol:

The Cuckoo Maran is primarily an eating bird, isn't it? And eating birds are bred for their capacity to put on weight. My Cochin is also an eating bird, and she is very fat indeed. I don't think she can help it.

But I am sorry to hear that your hen is a smoker. Try to get her to stop, but in the meantime, whatever you do, don't give her phosphorus (the homoeopathic remedy recommended in another thread to keep hens calm when fireworks are being let off), or she could go up in smoke.

:lol::lol::lol:

Firstly, the farmer next door has got some new hens - including a maran - it too is big and fat like Doris so I feel better about having a porker now. :wink:

Secondly, regarding her smoking :twisted: - she will not co-operate with patches and is unable to use those fake plastic cigs due to lack of manual dexterity. She is also unable to take advantage of the benefits of nicotine gum in view of the fact she has no teeth with which to chew it. Accordingly, I have resorted to enforcing new legislation prohibitting her from smoking in public areas (this includes the eglu run) and forcing her to go "cold turkey" which she is quite unhappy about - being a chicken.

She has today partcipated in my new campaign for more exercise and has spent her first day out and about in the garden - she has managed to lay off the fags all day and her colleagues have noticed a reduction in her coughing and splattering :) Hopefully with some more fresh air tomorrow we will see a further improvement.

:D ....mmmmm...Devon air at that, I could do with some!

My original Pepperpot, Chuckles, looks enormous, a real thunder thighs, compared to all my others and indeed to other Pepperpots that I've met. Visitors always assume that she is a big bully, but she's 4th or 5th in the pecking order and is the most sweet natured & friendliest of them all.

Now she is in full moult and looks like an ex batt, not fat at all. So, these looks can be deceptive, and so handling is the best way to tell.

I like Gallina's advice too. :lol: