Hello everyone...

Quick question, I am setting up the eglu in the WIR tonight and bought some bark chippings as it says specifically bark on the how to set up an eglu products page.

Ive noticed on a couple of other forums it says do not use bark chippings only wood chippings....:?:

Help please......

There is a little bit of debate on this one. Some say that bark chippings harbour harmful moulds, etc. and that wood chippings last longer, etc., however, I've used nothing but bark chippings since last autumn and my birds have been absolutely fine; they're healthy, happy and lay like mad.

I clean the eglu runs every 6 weeks or so and the rest of the 'chipped' area every 3 months. The spent bark chips go around my fruit bushes at the allotment or in my flower borders. Touch wood (chippings :lol: ) The set-up seems to be working fine. :D

Saronne x

I have the newbies (purple eglu) on woodchips and I also have the "path" in front of the WIR with bark........

the bark is really wet and smells a bit whereas the bark which has chooks living on it 24/7 is already starting to dry out and it only stopped raining about half hour ago! :D

from what I've read else where hard wood has more sharp splinters due to the close grain in some hardwoods which are bad enough to get out of a human finger have scars to prove it

I use a product called cushion bed like easibed but cheaper get it from a feed supplier at shenstone both are cheaper than the diy sheds due to the bags being bigger

Thank you everyone - I think I shall have a nosy round B&Q tomorrow and see what they have. Quite glad the hardwood ones are no good though...they are really expensive. Unfortunatly there is only really B&Q in my area that does this sort of thing and they are always on the pricey side :(

have you got a horse or farm supplies outlet near you horse bedding is all you need its the same price as B&Q but bigger bales

has alook through the bedding topics on here plenty of ideas and if you post your rough location some ones more than likley to know a supplier near by

If you go down the horse bedding route for the (green eglu) run then it will need to be covered.......either with corrugated plastic sheeting **ANH GET YOUR PICTURE OUT!!!! :wink: ) or a shower curtain held on with bungees.

I used a bag and a half of the B&Q soft woodchip and they will be good in the run for 2-3months providing you rake over, pick poo ever so often and top up with the half remaining bag :D

the stuff I use are wood chips made from recycled wood for stables had the b&q ones first but they rejust the bag size so I got the cushion bed £4.50 for 25kg one bale did the same as the 4 i used the first time my run has a roof but the rain's coming down sideways its that heavy this last week or so but the run dries out pritty quick

Sorry, couldnt find my topic for some reason - may have been moved....

I havent found a farm supply place in the area as yet but I should have thought there would be one somewhere near...

Will have to make do with B&Q now and look in to how to do it cheaper next time..

Thanks for all the ideas and photos though.... I'll have to put one of my homemade run up...

Hi Plum - yes they are coming on Saturday! I will certainly put some pics up when they arrive (thats if I can work out how to do it :lol: )

I did toy with the idea of the play area chips today but wasnt sure if they were OK - panicing a bit and just want everything all lovely before they arrive....honestly, I dont think I made this much fuss when I had the kids :lol:

Hi sjp

Thank you for that - yes, Ive done a search and its about a 1/2 hour drive away. I'll definatly look into that when I need to change the chippings!! Hopefully it should work out a lot cheaper getting it from somewhere like that instead of relying on B&Q!!

Thanks again :D

We have used bark chippings for over 2 years now and change the top layer once a month or so. We have a deep layer of them and they dig them over very well and it seems to have formed it's own smell free ecosystem :D

Yesterday they dug a deep hole in the corner of the run near the eglu and would have managed to tunnel out if it wasn't for the planks surrounding the area :lol:

We buy ours from Wyvale garden centres where they usually have them at 4 for £15.

We have a walk in run, laid on slabs. The majority of the slab floor is covered by Aubiose (horse bedding), but for the area by the door I use bark chipping. This prevents the fine shreds of Aubiose being trodden all over the garden by those entering and exiting the WIR (which includes the chickens!).

Img_1882a.jpg

Andrew

I keep seeing bits about Auboise....is it fairly cheap? Is it a wood chip like substance or something synthetic?

We have a walk in run, laid on slabs. The majority of the slab floor is covered by Aubiose (horse bedding), but for the area by the door I use bark chipping. This prevents the fine shreds of Aubiose being trodden all over the garden by those entering and exiting the WIR (which includes the chickens!).

Img_1882a.jpg

Andrew