redhotchick

Seasonal Cake Recipes (Beetroot and Courgette)

I haven't tried these (yet). If anyone makes them soon will you report back please?

Surely a piece of any one of these must count towards one of your five a day :wink:

Recipe 1

Chocolate Beetroot Cake

Ingredients

For the cake

100g drinking chocolate

230g self-raising flour

200g caster sugar

100g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa solids

125g unsalted Butter

250g cooked Beetroot, (not pickled!)

3 large Eggs, beaten

For the cream cheese filling

250g cream cheese

60g unsalted Butter, soft

200g icing sugar

For the chocolate ganache

250g whipping cream

250g dark chocolate, chopped

grated white chocolate, to decorate

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.

2. Grease and line a 25cm deep round cake tin

3. Sift the drinking chocolate with the self-raising flour into a mixing bowl, and then mix in the sugar.

4. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl over hot (not boiling) water.

5. Purée the cooked beetroot in a food processor, then whisk in the beaten eggs.

6. Add the beetroot and the chocolate mixtures to the dry ingredients and mix together thoroughly.

7. Pour the mixture into a greased lined 25cm cake tin. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

8. Remove from the oven and leave the cake to stand in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

9. Split the cake in half.

10. To make the filling: beat the cream cheese icing ingredients together until creamy and spread liberally on the bottom half of the cake. Place the other half of the cake on top.

11. To make the chocolate ganache: heat the cream in a pan and bring just to boiling point, then remove the pan from the heat.

12. Place a damp towel on the worktop and place the pan of hot cream on this.

13. Add the chopped chocolate to the cream and beat vigorously until thoroughly mixed. Allow to cool slightly.

14. Spread the ganache on top of the cake and leave to set.

15. Sprinkle with the white chocolate to decorate.

Recipe 2

Simple beetroot cake

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 1hour 15 min

Serves: 6

Ingredients

250g (8oz) self-raising flour, sieved

2 teaspoons baking powder

150g (5oz) soft brown sugar

100g (3½oz) sultanas

200g (7oz) beetroot, peeled and grated (2-3 medium sized beetroots)

150ml (¼ pint) vegetable or sunflower oil

2 medium sized eggs, beaten

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4

2. Grease and line an 8 inch loose based cake tin.

3. Mix together the flour, baking powder and soft brown sugar in a large bowl.

4. Add the sultanas, grated beetroot.

5. Beat the oil and eggs together, and then add to the bowl.

6. Combine with either a wooden spoon or electric mixer.

7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1-1¼ hours. Insert a metal skewer into the cake; if it comes out clean, then the cake is cooked.

8. Cool on a wire rack.

Recipe 3

Chocolate Courgette Cake

Preparation Time: 10 mins

Cooking Time: 45 mins

Serves: 6

Ingredients

120g butter (softened)

125ml sunflower oil

100g caster sugar

200g soft brown sugar

3 eggs, beaten

130ml milk

350g plain flour

2 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp cocoa

450g courgettes, peeled and grated finely

1 tsp vanilla

Instructions

1. Line a 20 x 35cm baking tray with baking paper and set the oven to 190ºC/350ºF.

2. Mix the butter, oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.

3. Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture. Stir in grated and peeled courgettes, vanilla and spoon into tin. Bake for 35 -45 minutes.

i make chocolate and beetroot loaf useing this Recipe can highly recommend it have a friend that makes 5 or 6 a season for different clubs and groups she's in

Beetroot Chocolate Loaf

Ingredients

TIP: The addition of raw grated beetroot gives this cake a lovely moist texture as well as a fresher flavour than cooked beetroot. Use a really good dark chocolate with a cocoa fat % of 70%.

Ingredients

8oz SR flour, 1oz cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking powder, 4oz caster sugar, Pinch of salt, 3oz dark chocolate melted, 3oz butter melted, 4oz raw grated beetroot peeled weight, 2 eggs beaten

Method

Heat the oven to GM4/180’C/350’F. Grease and line a 2lb-loaf tin.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.

Stir in the sugar, beetroot, melted chocolate and butter and the eggs.

Turn into the tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until firm on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean.

I make chocolate courgette cake for the boys as the absolutely love it and say it's their favourite cake, despite knowing it's got veggies in it! Mine's adapted from the recipe in Nigella's Domestic Goddess book and has chocolate chunks in. I'm freezing grated courgette in bags big enough to use for one cake now so that they can continue having this later on in the year when the courgettes have finished.

I make chocolate courgette cake for the boys as the absolutely love it and say it's their favourite cake, despite knowing it's got veggies in it! Mine's adapted from the recipe in Nigella's Domestic Goddess book and has chocolate chunks in. I'm freezing grated courgette in bags big enough to use for one cake now so that they can continue having this later on in the year when the courgettes have finished.

What a good idea (freezing grated courgette)

I've just frozen it without blanching. It's the first time I've tried freezing courgette though as my boys have only just decided that chocolate courgette cake is their No 1 favourite but hopefully it'll work OK. I read on a US website that they can just be grated and frozen so should be fine for cake baking as I don't have room to freeze whole cakes but can squeeze bags of ready grated courgette into gaps easily.

Instead of sultanas, I add chocolate chunks and I use 1oz less of flour and add 1oz cocoa. I sandwich the cake together with some chocolate spread, give it chocolate glace icing, grate chocolate on top and it's lovely.

To save you going to the library, I found the recipe online in a blog...

Courgette Cake

large handful sultanas

2 medium - large courgettes, grated using course side of box grater

2 large eggs

125ml vegetable oil

150g caster sugar

225g self-raising flour

1/2 teaspoon bicarb

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

2 sandwich tins, greased & lined

filling - good quality lemon curd with some lime juice to taste

icing:

200g tub organic cream cheese

100g icing sugar, sieved

juice of 1 lime

Preheat oven to 180 C

Grate courgettes.

Combine eggs, oil and sugar in bowl.

Sieve in flour, bicarb and baking powder and beat until well combined.

Stir in courgette and sultanas.

Pour into tins and bake for 30 minutes until slightly browned and firm to touch.

Once cool, sandwich with lemon curd in middle.

cream cheese icing on top - firm in fridge if preferred.

serves 8 people - or 2 people 4 times over :o)

From Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess

The courgette doesn't add any flavour to the cake at all so it really doesn't taste of courgette. It makes the cake lovely and moist and light though so you get a really nice chocolatey cake. My boys are terribly fussy. My eldest has asperger syndrome and only has a very limited range of foods which he can cope with but he loves this cake and couldn't wait for me to make one this year. If he'll eat it, I think anyone will :lol: !!

My son said this morning "I saw a recipe in the kitchen yesterday and I've been panicking ever since :anxious: " :lol: - I've told him I shall make it specially for him!! :lol:

"They were everywhere. I couldn't get away from them. They were like triffids in the garden. I run in to the house. I open the fridge. It was overflowing. I shut it quickly. Seeking comfort I put the kettle on for a cup of tea. I opened the Lock and Lock by the kettle. "Mmmm, cake" I sat down. Aah, lovely tea. As I bit in I realised. Aaaahh!! Courgettes!!