redhotchick

Seasonal Cake Recipes (Beetroot and Courgette)

Ooh, I'm missing out! I lost all my courgette plants to a late frost :( However, I do have some squash plants romping away - my family love Jamie Oliver's recipe for butternut squash muffins. I make them as normal cupcake size and the boys ice them in all different colours. They are none the wiser as to the ingredients :wink:

ive got courgettes :lol::lol::lol: (betcha didnt know that - did ya :lol::lol::lol: )

im just popping out to get some vegetable oil (for some unknown reason, we dont have any :? - no idea why - im sure I bought some recently :roll: )

im going to make this in muffin trays - it should work shouldnt it :anxious::anxious:

im taking some into work tomorrow - they dont need to know whats in it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

cathy

x

erm - this makes a lot of mixture :lol::lol::lol:

up to now, ive got 12 muffins(cooked), one 1lb loaf tin (cooking) and another 9 muffins (waiting on the side to go in the oven when the loaf tin is done)

:? i hope i like it - or ive got a lot of cake to get rid of :lol::lol::lol::lol:

right: ive just tried it and its rather acceptable thank you very much :D:D:D

oh, yes, and piperkit likes it too :eh::roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:

ive got one weird cat :lol:

cathy

x

I made this version last year which was nice, it did kind of erupt on one side but it went down well none the less.

Sara Blackmore's Beetroot Cake - Courtesy of Able&Cole

450g self raising flour

1 tsp ground nutmeg

1 tsp mixed spice

275g light brown sugar

125g walnuts chopped

2 ripe bananas mashed

350g cooked beetroot

4 medium eggs

300ml sunflour or rapeseed oil

Sift the flour and spices, mix in the sugar nuts, beetroot and bananas.

Mix the eggs and oil together and then stir into the flour mix.

Bake in an 8inch deep sided round cake tin for 1 hour at 180.

You can ice it, well you can if it doesn't turn out like mine! 225g cream cheese with 85g icing sugar and 2tsp lemon juice.

I'm bumping this, as every year I search for this recipe. The chocolate courgette cake is divine and a great way to use the glut! Sadly I can't eat it anymore as I'm diabetic, but my 2 year old nephew loves it.... So I'm baking one for him today!

I'm also making courgette soup...experimenting with a new recipe with mint, as I've also got a glut of that too :lol:

My courgettes are all in the garden at home this year and have been a bit slow to get going. I did however find a large ne hiding yesterday, I have used about a third of it in a veg curry side dish this evening and I will try to use the rest in muffins tomorrow. I tend to make chocolate courgette muffins to the adapted Nigella recipe early in the thread and the office love them, good way to use eggs, and courgettes. They are yummy and freeze well. :D

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1577642/courgette-potato-and-cheddar-soup

Made the above courgette potato and cheese soup this morning and just eaten it. Yum! Added quite a bit of nutmeg and some healthy double cream, just a little. This soup takes a whole 1kg of courgette! So, with the muffins, soup and Delia's roasted vegetable lasagne I am making later, well just the roasted veg bit to go with the roasted chicken (NO! not one of the girls, they have lice at the moment so have their own protein supply til later this pm when I get my lice powder out! Anyway, by the end of today might be in courgette deficit.....unless that small one out on the plant has grown!