Elaine C

Thanks for the run inspiration

Hi all

Been checking out the run thread recently. I have to say they all look fab and given me lots of ideas as we will be building the girls their permenant run this weeked.

AnnieP - I notice your run is sitting on paving stones. Do they extend accross the whole run or just around the edge? I ask this as we were planning to bury the welded mesh to stop foxes digging through as there are a few in our area. Setting the run on paving stones may be less work (or maybe not! I guess the ground will need to be very flat and level) but the run is going to be quite large and not practical to pave the whole area.

I hope our run will look as good as all of yours. Any other top tips would be very welcome.

E

Hi Elaine,

I think it might be my run you are looking at :? Annie very kindly put them here from my original posting in the nesting box. :D

I firstly put up the frame with the posts then stapled the weld mesh wire from top to bottom, the wire then extended about 2 foot over the ground - we did this all the way around. :D We then put paving stones around the outside of the run only, the inside is just soil with hemcore on top.

The paving is to protect from Mr Fox and also so we can walk round with ease and its not too muddy when it rains. :lol:

Hi Emma

Ooops, apologies. It has to be said that it doesn't really take much to confuse me :wink:

Thanks for the info, very useful. So you have a 2 foot skirt held down with the paving stones. (sorry if appear dense!). This sounds like a really good idea. I was also thinking of putting paving stones around for the same reasons as you but was told this was ott and not needed if the mesh were buried. I thought the paving stones would give me extra peace of mind and as you say better for waking around.

I will show your pictures to OH when he comes home tonight. Only trouble the wood and fixtures have arrived today and the mesh being picked up tomorrow but I guess that the buried mesh and paving stones would give the same protection. :)

Was going to put wood chips inside but also considering hemcore. How much hemcore did your run take?

E

Hi Elaine,

Yes the paving stones do hold down the skirt of weld mesh - dont worry im easily confused too! :lol::lol::lol:

We buried the skirt to get an even surface for laying the slabs. The slabs didnt take long to lay and are well worth it. Once they were down we put gravel board around the bottom edge of the run to prevent the hemcore from being kicked out.

We bought loads of hemcore - 6 bails to be precise :oops::oops: but we only used 2!! :lol::lol: This covered an area 4m X 4m square around an inch thick, any deeper and the girls would have been swimming in it! :roll:

Building the run took us some time but we are really pleased with the result and the girls love it, scratching around, running & flapping, being real chickens!!! :D

Hi Emma

Thanks so much for this info. Mr Foxy has no chance of getting into your set up I think.

I've got a feeling OH will want to stick to his burying the mesh plan as we now have all the materials based on his initial plan (I so wish he had consulted me before he ordered the stuff, I'm the one who's been doing all the research!! men :roll: ) But I will definately stick to my guns re the paving stones around the run as added protection so hopefully if we do bury the mesh and have the paving stones, the protection will be comparable to your set up.

I have definately decided to go for the hemcore now. My run will be 3m x 6 m, so based on what you have said if I get 3 bails that will be plenty with enough to spare to line the poo tray as many people have said this helps with odour. The gravel boards around the bottom sound like a good idea.

How long did your run take? OH is planning to do this over the weekend with the help of my mum's husband. They are coming over tomorrow and Sunday. Is this realistic? The weather in Guildford is not looking too promising though!

Anyway, thanks again for you info - it's been invaluable. I just hope my girls will appreciate it. At least they will be able to have some freedom during the day. I feel so sorry for them at the moment. I leave for work when its dark and by the time I get home and let them out, they only have a short time of foraging and freedom. I work flexi time so in the short term have been able to do that but the shortest day is not yet here!

E

Thanks Annie - if cups of tea, biscuits and praise fail - I'll just get the whip out and start cracking it until they've finished :wink:

Seriously though, I am very impressed by OHs enthusiasm for this project -given that there are a thousand and one things to do in the house matched by a thousand and one excuses not to do them :!: and also his initial reluctance to add to our flock. Now, he seems seriously dedicated to making sure all our girls are happy. So this is good :)

Needs to be done though as old girls and new girls are not getting on. Having to keep them seperated during the day and only a short time when I get home to get them together out of the eglu run as it's dark early so not contributing to integration. I'm hoping that with more space, and able to be out all together during the day they will have to settle their differences. Tried having them all in the eglu run and converter but shocked to see what bullies my old girls have been.

Planning to take photos at all stages during construction and the final run. So will post some pictures.

E

Hi Elaine,

The plans for your run sound brilliant - must say my OH was the same - i did the research and planning & he butted in every now & again & then said he wanted to do it his way :roll: - needless to say i won out - true girl power :wink::lol::lol::lol:

You should do ok with working 2 full days at the weekend but it really will depend on the weather. Rain is a real pain when you are trying to get the posts in :evil: We dug the holes and used a dry sand & cement mix with some hardcore to secure them. Cut the noggins after the post have gone in - we cut them to size before and some were out by as much as 3 cm :oops: so had to buy more 2 x 2! :roll:

Are you going to put a roof on the top?

I would do as Annie suggests - tea, cake, biscuits & encouragement & if nothing seems to be happening fast then get the whip & use an acid tongue to get them moving! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi

Only just had time to log in after the weekends making tea and providing food for the run builders. They did seem to need a lot of tea and refreshments!!

Unfortunately, lots of things conspired against getting it finished this weekend. Mostly the weather, it absolutely poured down here in Guildford and the garden is a mudbath. Then OH having to put a new cluckth :wink: cable in my mums husbands car on Sunday (he's co builder) and further discussions on design before they started (I wasn't too happy with OHs design - based on my research but backed up by co builder), so having to go out and get some more wood! and finally the short days.

Hopefully on track for next weekend, weather permitting! They've got the posts in so I can see the footprint. They used bracketty things (pointy metal things) sunk into the ground. So the basics are now down. Will be putting a roof on but had not decided wheather to use corregated plasic or other. Would be grateful for views. At the moment I'm thinking corrigated plastic but would this be a problem in the summer with heat? It is partially shaded by a large horsechestnut tree so I'm thinking this could be ok. We're covering the top with mesh as well and have some tarpauling that can be used a temporary cover until I decide.

Hopefully, though by the end of next weekend, I will be able to let the girls have freedom and space to sort themselves out :)

Thanks

E