eggregiousness

DIY microscopic examination for worm eggs

I actually checked my tortoise hatchlings poo for worms when she was under the weather some time ago and found that she had a heavy burden bless her.

I was told how to do it from a lady on a tortoise forum and it is actually quite simple.

I even managed to take photo's of the worm eggs through the microscope :D

th_PICT0100.jpg

th_PICT0101-1.jpg

Here is a link to explain how to perform the procedure. This site is to do with cattle but it works the same way. Here

I have also got a file showing the different types of eggs you may find so if anyone would like me to email it to them just let me know :D

Oh good - it's reassuring to see another site describing the technique in the same way. I am thinking of getting a microscope. Omlet have a 200X USB scope for sale for £49.95. I will look around to see if that is a good deal or not. I have guinea pigs, a tortoise, cats and soon will have chickens (I hope!) I could use it for all of them to avoid routine worming. Mind you - don't fancy doing th cats very much :vom:

There is no reason why you shouldn't do your own examinations, they are very straight forward. What you have to bear in mind is that when they are done commercially you are given an 'egg count' This is the number of eggs found per gram. This gives you and idea as to the significance of the findings. A low number of eggs is in many cases (depending on the worm and animal tested) considered normal. Medium to high numbers are obviously a cause for concern. The reason for this is that you can treat an animal for worms and they will then be clear but only until they next re infect themselves which could be the next day :roll: - so worming at regular intervals means that the egg counts are kept low and therefore disease caused by worms is kept to a minimun. Obviously if you find no worms, you don't need to worm but if you find a few after regular worming, it does not mean that your wormers are not working.

Wow this has taken me back. When I was younger I had a wonderful aunt and uncle and my brother and I used to LOVE getting their Christmas presents as they were always so imaginative and nothing we had asked for. One year my brother got a telescope and I got a microscope. I adore it and would find things and put in a a slide and look at it, dont know where it ended up.

Now I have a five year old and some pets is that a good enough excuse to buy a microscope?!

Michelle

Wow this has taken me back. When I was younger I had a wonderful aunt and uncle and my brother and I used to LOVE getting their Christmas presents as they were always so imaginative and nothing we had asked for. One year my brother got a telescope and I got a microscope. I adore it and would find things and put in a a slide and look at it, dont know where it ended up.

Now I have a five year old and some pets is that a good enough excuse to buy a microscope?!

Michelle

I think you need one each! :D

I got a USB digital microscope off ebay for £25 inc P&P from Hong kong, that seller doesn't have any for sale on ebay at the moment, buy you could email them and ask? PM me if you want the address :)

It has a 230X zoom, 8 LED's and is 1.3 megapixels, similar model to this one.

Its a better spec than the Omlet one, and was half the price.