franklyrabbit

New Eglu Which Rabbits Won't Go Into!

Can anyone help us?

Our rabbits' eglu arrived 5 days ago and the rabbits have the run of the house and garden all day. They quite happily go into the run throughout the day to nibble the grass in there, to use their litter tray and to eat food. But they just won't go into the eglu, and spend all night huddled in a corner of the run. It's very upsetting. The eglu has food and water in it and I've tried leaving a curly kale trail up to and into their eglu. I've even put their soiled straw from the litter tray into the eglu so that they know that the eglu is theirs to use. I've left the side hatch off during the day so that they can sniff inside it. They just won't go inside. It even rained all night on their first night and they just sat under the weather cover to keep dry. Any suggestions?

Today we've decided to take the whole top off the eglu while they're watching and make a big fuss of changing the straw (they always get interested when the straw bag comes out). Maybe that will work?

Hi franklyrabbit,

when my rabbits first got their (green eglu) , we put them in through the side door, and kept them in the eglu for a bit so that they know thats their home before opening the front door to let them out into run. If your rabbits are happy for you to pick them up, maybe you could try this.

:D

Hi and thank you bunnypnp. We have had Bonnie and Bandit for about 3 weeks (our beautiful Frank died and then B & B came to stay). They are rescue brother and sister rabbits and still getting used to us. Bandit will let me pick him up but Bonnie is being more cautious. I think that if I could pick them both up that your idea is a very good one.

A ray of sunshine though as yesterday we left the top off the eglu all morning and they happily went in and out of it. We then had the cover on but not completely in the afternoon and they didn't seem to mind that. I only put their food in the eglu last night when they went to bed in the run and they went into the eglu and ate which is a vast improvement. They didn't sleep in it though.

Today we are repeating the exercise and they seem more content and are spending more time in the eglu (with the roof half off).

Slow but steady progress...

My rabbits don't particularly like sleeping in the (green eglu) either. They are half house rabbits, so they are only outside during the day and generally spend the night inside, but whenever they are outside for the night, they prefer to sleep outside in a cardboard box or just right outside the (green eglu) . They only really sleep inside when its a hot day or if its raining!! :D

(red eglu)(black white rabbit)(black white rabbit)

You have made me feel better bunnypnp about my two and their quirky ways.

An update - Bonnie and Bandit now happily go into the eglu with the roof and lid on. Bonnie even jumped over Bandit who was in the doorway, so that she could properly get in. I put all of their food in there now.

They still didn't sleep in there but I think that when the nights become colder or if it rains then they have figured out that the eglu won't bite!

:D(red eglu)(black white rabbit)(black white rabbit)

Thank you and yes you're right. We've just returned from holiday and my teenage daughter has been looking after them and they are much more settled now. We've only had Bonnie & Bandit for 7 weeks and so they also had to get used to us and not being in one little hutch all day from their previous life. They see the eglu as a friend now and 'help' us to clean it out - which we're very grateful for!

Mac and Dougal look like great rabbits. Our sadly missed Frank was very happy to spend all day in the house/home office with us and we just kept the door open so that he could go outside. Bonnie and Bandit may eventually come in - they already stand in the doorway and are wondering what's inside ...

It always amazes me that rabbits very happily use a litter tray! Clever bunnies. I've had to get a larger one because these two want to sit in it together.

Thats exactly what I have had to do I started with a corner one that Mac would curl up and sleep in :roll: , but then when I got Dougal they were always trying to get in at the same time and ended up pushing each other out. So now I have a large cat litter tray and they sit side by side. :D

i have just been reading this discussion - our rabbits have been with us for 3 days and won't sleep in the (orange eglu) . i feel so sorry for them outside, surley it's freezing for them! we have been picking them up at night and putting them in through the side.

i will try filling up the feeding bowl in the evening so they go in and then i can shut the door.

is your litter tray outside in the run area? at the moment they do it in the eglu . . .

wow! what a great home for your bunnies!

raspberry and gooseberry are rescued rabbits and are used to the outside life. i wouldn't mind them coming into the house though. they just seem a bit scared of us at the moment and hop away if we try and stroke or pick them up. i guess it will take a bit of time.

trouble is they are so adorable, i just want to pick them up, but am also anxious of not freaking them out.

thanks for you advice jenuk99.

(red eglu)(black white rabbit)(black white rabbit)

I know it can be quite an anxious time when the eglu first arrives. Be patient though and I think that the cold weather will persuade them into it.

Mine certainly were nervous of it but I let them join in cleaning it and during the dry days, left the door off so that they could make a game of jumping in and out of it. I'm not convinced that they spend all night in it as they're nosey and like to look out of the run, but they do go in there now. I've started putting a pet hot plate in it under the straw too and they seem to be accepting that.

I put the litter tray in the run, under the weather proof cover and that's the only place they go (not by design but it's just what they do). I fill the stainless steel bowl up in the eglu with dry food and also have a smaller 'litter tray' in the run with veg in it.

Bonnie and Bandit tend to go into the eglu with the idea of eating and then just stay there. Try not to provide them with anything else in the run to nest in - that might help.

Good luck and keep us informed :D

I found with mine when they were nervous about being handled I sat with them or lay and read a book and then they will come and investigate you. Dougal is not keen on being handled but will happily run up and down my back if I am lying on the carpet. Its all about trust and them building confidence. Everyone on here will have their own suggestions too of what works for them, just dont worry and relax they will get used to you.

Jenx

thanks franklyrabbit for your reply - it was really helpful.

today we let them out of the run and into the garden for the first time - i was really nervous as they seemed to be trying to find all the holes and gaps in the fence and ESCAPE! but raspberry went back in and gooseberry soon followed.

i bought a litter tray and have had it in the run for the last few days, but they seem to ignore it and still do their business in the eglu - it means i have to do a thorough clean everyday. today i have tried to squeeze it into the eglu, hoping they might do it in there?

do you leave the eglu door open at night? last night we could not get them in, so had to leave them outside . . . i was worried all night! i had a cardboard box in the run which they really enjoyed playing with during the day, i guess that was the cause of them staying out all night! I have taken it out now after reading your reply . . .

i will keep you updated!

poo update . . . .

after having put the litter tray into the (orange eglu) i thought they would have no choice BUT to do it in there. i was wrong! everywhere BUT in the litter tray.

so will try as you suggested and put the soiled newspaper, poo and some hay into litter tray and see what happens . . .

Yes - putting some droppings into the litter tray does work. That is how I trained Frank, our first rabbit. I put some droppings into the tray and then picked him up for a stroke and put him down into the tray. He stayed there for 5-10 minutes and WENT - yay!

No I don't close the eglu door at night. We have wind-proofed the run, although have left sufficient ventilation, with heavy plastic sheeting and the Omlet covers. I have a pet bed in the eglu for extra warmth and put a pet warmer hot plate in it. Having said that, it's mild here at the moment and so I'm leaving the hot plate out.

I think that you are right Harinder and that your rabbits are enjoying the run and probably sleeping in the box at the moment. They're pretty hardy aren't they. I think that when it gets colder, they'll work out where's warmest. It's worth putting a bit of their favourite veg in a sort of trail leading up and into the eglu to entice them.

thank you, thank you!! that makes me feel a whole lot better about leaving them out at night. i guess you are right they will figure it out.

so tonight, i have put the omlet cover on and left it to that. it is pretty mild, as you say. we will buy a wind-proof sheet as it gets colder. what is a pet bed?

in terms of litter tray - they did seem to use it today, the eglu was not as soiled as usual - so i will just stick with the plan! :angel:

they do go into the (orange eglu) to eat and poo (!) but just don't sleep in it.

but you really have put my mind to rest.

:D:dance::clap:

(whiterabbit) gooseberry

(brown rabbit) raspberry

Nice to hear you and Gooseberry and Raspberry are making eglu progress !

The pet bed is just a cushiony cat/small dog bed which I bought at a pet shop and fits into the eglu nicely. The sides are about 6" high and they sit in the middle of it. Frank, my previous rabbit used to have a similar thing in his wooden double decker hutch and never chewed it and so I tried this new bed out in the garden first on some dry days for them to get used to it and then slowly moved it into their run for another few days and they began to sit in it, eventually it went into the eglu and for one night they didn't go in and now they have. It isn't filled with stuffing (difficult to explain) as I didn't want them choking if they did decide to chew it.

:eh: Well I've just had it pointed out to me by OH that the bed is slightly stuffed but I noticed some at the pet shop that weren't. We bought a Posh Donut Bed Size 51cm for around £21 from Partners Pet Supermarkets (this one is in St. Albans) 01727 827500. May be if Mac likes discovering stuffing, this particular one won't be a good choice though.

What I had before was stuffingless because it was made like a slipper, with a cotton covering on the outside and fluffyish (slipper-like) lining inside. The structure was reasonably rigid, again like a slipper we wear on our feet. I got that at a tiny pet shop near us - no brand name.

I don't feel like much help.