theherd123

Big trouble in little paradise!

Probably this is too obvious and I've missed something but have you looked under the eglu? We've got rats in our garden and they always dug underneath the eglu and came up in the run itself to steal the food. I don't leave any food in there now so they have moved on but the holes and the runs displaced a lot of earth and only noticeable when I shifted the eglu.

Even though im sure it is the chickens are they really capable of digging up so much in just one day????? :shock::shock::shock:
Yes, our three excavate an enormous hole in the middle of the eglu run most days. It's OK during the summer because we let them into the garden, but during the winter they spend most days confined to the Eglu run. I think frustration plays a part, as they sometimes drag all the newspaper out from the bottom of the nest box, or pull it up from under the bars and then proceed to shred it all over the run :cry:.

It' can be a right mess by bed time :evil:.

Andrew

My two dig up the edges of the run on an almost daily basis - I have them on wood chips and often come home to a large mound in the middle and excavations all around the edge. If they are particularly grumpy at being shut in the run then Fenny especially has been known to empty out the feeder in disgust and squawks loudly to let me know sh eis not impressed - I still have to go to work though and the neighbours have not complained yet!! :oops: