theherd123

Big trouble in little paradise!

Right well this looking after chicken marlarky is causing confusion to say the least :eh:

Left for work this morning as usual and let the girls out beforehand - all was well they came out the eglu clucking & headed straight of their food. :D

Come home this evening and pop up to put them away and the run looks like a riot has occurred! :shock::shock::shock:

All around the inside edge of the run looks like it has been dug up and there are HUGE piles of hemcore and soil everywhere!!!

What has gone on??????

There is no sign of a creature getting in so i just dont get it :eh:

Please help can anyone explain this? Has anybody else had this happen to them??

Edited by Guest

Oh my goodness :shock: Good question, what has been going on? Is the dug up bit just all around the inside of the run or any excavations in the midde? Not that I have any suggestions other than moles as Chelsea suggests but if no sign of anything getting in doesn't seem likely. How were the chooks when you put them away, had they been spooked or their normal selves?

Could the chooks have possibly done this themselves? Again seems unlikely probably.

Sorry no answers, I'm as confused as you :?

Hope you can get to the bottom of this.

E

huge piles of mud and chickens.... :?:

I think they would to it to the hemcore...but would be amazed if they did the earthpiles! :shock:

Yes, probably unlikely. I know chooks can dig but ....and also hard to imagine why the chooks would try the great escape thing from their lovely new run.

Hmm, the plot thickens. I'm completely stumped :wink:

E

There is no hole for a mole :? I thought moles made holes???

That was what I was thinking when you said no sign of creatures getting in. But thinking about it you do often see piles of mud on grass with no holes in the ground. Is the soil and hemcore in isolated piles or a sort of straight line along the edge of the run? Could you get a picture of it to show us?

E

Don't dismiss the fact that they may have made the mess themselves.

Mine are in a big run & one of them regularly digs deep dustbaths for herself right by the edge,& sometimes under the wire (which is skirted around outside,just in case).

I have just been down there now & cought her at it.....I had to rake it all back in & stamp it down.

Honestly,it looks like she is trying to burrow out,but she seems to love the loose earth & rolls about in it.

Of cousre,its the white hen that does this :roll:

I can see if I can get a picture of her work,so you can compare if you like. :D

Just to confirm what Sarah/Cinnamon has posted June and Audrey are big diggers too. They've developed very strong leg muscles. They can shift masses of earth and have been known to partly excavate under the eglu itself- at one point I has to resort to putting large rocks and a paving slab inside the run near to the eglu door!! I'm glad to report that they're off this stage ot the moment- but I always keep an eye on it.

They also love to dig along the inside perimeter of the run and sometimes dig out a bit from under the 'skirt' of the run. Often the middle of the run gets higher from the combination of their droppings and digging spoil.....I just shovel it up and put it into my compost bin before replacing with fresh earth and bark chippings.

Right!!! :D

Got home again today and the run looked a total mess - not that im an overly neat & tidy person - (my name & the words 'neat & tidy' are rarely said in the same sentence) but the girls have been up to something!! :roll:

Look at this!

Digging

th_DSCF0118.jpg

More digging

th_DSCF0106.jpg

And this - dirty legs & feet!!!

th_DSCF0122.jpg