SueW

Merits of Eglu

I have been considering purchasing an Eglu for some time, really deliberating, as I really want to keep chickens; kept them as a child many decades ago and I adored them. I have no shortage of space as I live on a smallholding. I like the 'hygenic' nature of the eglu and the absence of nooks and crannies which traditional wooden coups involve. However, I am absolutely terrified of acquiring my new 'chookies' only to have them taken away by foxes. Please can anyone advise me at to whether the eglu and run really and truly 'fox-proof'.

Thanks all.

:lol:

The Eglu and run are an amazing design, but I would think of it as fox resistant, rather than 100% foxproof, being as they are such cunning creatures and very determined.

There have been a couple of unlucky incidents whereby a fox has managed to make the most of a weak spot, perhaps as Martin suggests, digging on loose soil at the shortest route, or even a strike through the bars. Quite a number of forum reported killings have been by urban foxes in daylight, and the majority have been freeranging outside the run.

However, I've told you the worst first. There are extra steps each individual can assess, and for some people having an Eglu & run has been the only way they could safely keep chickens, and the majority of keepers here have not had a problem, even with foxes in the vicinity. But you are wise to think ahead, forewarned is forearmed, and there are some topics where people have discussed ideas such as heavy slabs covering the corner of the run skirt, or even electric fencing or a "foxwatch" deterrent.

I believe an Eglu at night with the door shut is the safest way to keep hens.

Some of us strted happily with an Eglu & run, and then, space permitting, built our own larger runs, then added more eglus and more chickens! :lol:

Now the positives; For nearly 2 years I have been so thrilled every day to see my chickens. We were going to buy a wooden ark, and had chosen one, but it was out of stock. We looked elsewhere on the internet & found the Eglu. It has been the best decision, not one moment of regret. Over 2 summers a redmite infestation has started, I have been easily able to eradicate it. The Eglu is so easy (and fun!) to clean, and there are limited places to the mites to lurk, and rubbing Diatom powder on the bar ends makes it nearly impossible for them to take hold. I'll be doing that before I see one from now on. I know that many wooden coop owners have been beside themselves over the last hot summer with redmite plagues. The Eglu was worth it for that!

You do sound like a potential Egluowner and chickenkeeper, I do hope some lucky chickens will be coming to live with you. There are hundreds of us (at least) besotted by our hens, and delighted that we did choose the Eglu. Hope you'll be joining us! :D

The Eglu itself is 100% safe when the door is locked.

When I bought my Eglu, Omlet were also describing their run as "fox-proof", because up until then no chicken had been killed while in the run. They have now changed the description to "fox-resistant", because (as several people on this list will testify) foxes have managed to kill some chickens that were shut in the run. (This is quite rare: only a handful of people have lost chickens in this way, while there are about 10,000 Eglu runs in use.)

If you put it the run on perfectly flat ground and deal with the two weaknesses, then it is very safe indeed. These weaknesses are (1) the area where the run joins the Eglu, where it isn't that difficult for a fox to tunnel through, especially if you have light soil; and (2) the size of the mesh. (My chicken was struck through the wire by a fox that used to sunbathe on top of the run, and the chickens were inclined to forget he was there because of the winter shade.)

I would advise waiting until the spring for the Mark 3 Eglu, to see if Omlet have addressed these weaknesses. (If they have, I shall be getting one too!)

We are in Cheshire if it helps SueW?

I really do recommend the Eglu from a cleaning out point of view, and keeping the mites etc. to a minumum :D

As Martin said I think the only time a fox has been able to get to chooks is when the ground is very soft and sandy, but even then paving slabs around the edge can help.

They also come in a great range of colours :lol:

karen x

Like you, I did a lot of looking around and asking on the forum before I got my Eglu, and I haven't regretted it for one moment. My bantams are safe in the Eglu at night and freerange round the garden during the day.

If you think that you have lots of day foxes in your area then the best bet might be to put your Eglu in a bigger run. Theer are loads of examples of such runs here.

Speaking to friends who have wooden henc opps, I am so glad that I got the Eglu, with its mite resistance and ease of cleaning. I actualy sat and worked out a costing before I got mine and decided that it would be far more cost effective to get an Eglu than to spray, re-roof and treat a wooden coop twice a year.

I do hope that you manage to visit one in your area - please let us know what you decide.

I can recommend the Eglu thoroughly, without any reservations at all. It is a wonderful design, and I am never afraid at night once the hens are locked in.

It's the run that I am less happy about. But as there are only two known instances of a fox actually getting a chicken through the mesh, the risk is very low, given the number of us who suffer from fearless urban foxes.

We started with an Eglu and two hens - we now have lots - of both!

We moved to a smallholding and now have the Eglus in large run areas and the perimeter of the whole run area is protected by a battery run (or solar powered - we swap them around) electric fence. The run area is 5' high and there is a single strand electric wire about 9" from the ground held in on metal holders which keep it about 9"away from the wire mesh. We know we have foxes around, but so far have not lost any chickens. We don't lock, or even close, the Eglu doors at night.

we started off with a wooden coup and now have the eglu.

Its the best thing we have done. :clap:

So easy to clean. You can hose it down thoroughly, thus killing the majority of bugs and beasties that could breed and keeps away any smells.

It will last for years with no maintenance (like staining/painting a wooden one) and is 100 % reclylable.

Not only that it looks very stylish in your garden :D

I can only agree with all the comments posted.

Personally, I have found it a doddle to keep clean and I think also will also be low maintenance during the years to come as no wood to treat and maintain. Plus the benefit of only the roosting bars being wood so potential problems with red mite and other bugs are minimised. It is very hygenic I feel.

When the girls are locked in the eglu at night I feel happy that they are safe. As Gallina says the run probably not 100% but if you know the weak points, extra precautions can be taken. I have terracotta troughs over the run skirt at the eglu edge (filled with soil so an added bonus for the girls who like to have additional dust bath areas) and I do pin down the run skirting with tent pegs (cheaper than the omlet pegs!) Sounds though as you live on a small holding you will be able to build them a run and put the eglu in so if you are worried about the run that might be the way to go.

But most of all my girls seem to be very happy living in it :):):).

My only slight concern is now that I have four chooks, will one nesting box be enough!! The new two haven't started laying yet but from what people have said on the forum, I'm sure they'll sort it all out between them :)

Don't know how many chooks you are planning on getting, the eglu can house 4 so if more may be worth waiting until spring for the Mark 3. I think, but not sure, that this will house 6-8. Don't tell OH but I will certainly be having a look :shh: Again to repeat what others have said may be worth having a look at an eglu in practise. Lots of people are more than happy to show you around an eglu :)

Hope this helps - let us know what you decide.

I got my eglu in october and as a chicken novice it is great. I let the girls free range for about an hour before work in the morning and then they are in the run for the day. At the week end they get the run of the garden and are snug and warm in their eglu now as the wind howls in across the fen. I get great pleasure from seeing them clucking around and they have real characters. In the summer I am planning on building a bigger run on part of my vegetable plot so they can have a safe fox proof area to be in when I am at work and with a bit more space than the eglu run. I find that having a dog puts off foxes although she is sorely tempted by the chooks. My relatives are sorely jealous of my eglu and the girls and I am a real convert - although I need to develop more of a taste for eggs!!

Eglus are very good!!! And in my opinion a lot easier to clean than a wooden house. I should know as I only recently got my eglu-after a lot of fundraising!!! To replace my wooden coop as I really wanted one. They're also safe against foxes due to the mesh skirting too. If you're still unsure you could always make them a run on paving slabs with wood chip on top.