Guest Poet

bee-ing a bit cheeky!

our garden isn't really ideal for bees and we can't keep them on the allotment, it's surrounded by residential gardens so last night I decided to find a farm near us, ring them and ask them if we can keep bees on their land.

I just went to yell.com and did a local search for farms.

To cut a long story short, the first farm I rang (a 5 minute drive from us) said yes!!!! It also transpires that he kept bees himself for 40 years so we can pick his brains! :D

If anyone else out there is wanting bees and doesn't have anywhere to keep them, why not try doing what we did? It pays to be a bit cheeky sometimes ;)

Good work - you will find that some farmers are very sympathetic towards beekeepers.

Do (politely) ask them what (if any) insecticides they use, and if they use any seeds treated with systemics like Clothianidin (common seed dressing, made by Bayer, caused millions of bees to die in Germany last year).

We are working with the Soil Association on a scheme that will enable organic farmers to connect with chemical-free beekeepers in their area.

thanks guys :D No beehaus I'm afraid, too much out of our price range. We're going to our next local bee keeping assoc meeting and hoping to make some contacts to get a cple of cheap/discounted hives.