A chickychickychick-ENN!!

Shipping Forecast - complain and campaign!

Oooooh dang BBC! They've gone and dismissed the voice of the Shipping Forecast. :shock::evil::shameonu:

Here's the gen:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/pip-pip-pip-bleep-radio-4-stalwart-to-leave-after-fourletter-outburst-1787955.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6189784/Voice-of-Radio-4-Peter-Jefferson-is-frozen-out-by-BBC-at-64.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/sep/15/radio-4-continuity-announcer

45 years, he had been there. I imagine this is part of the cost-cutting axe and ageism as much as the swearing, but even so.

In my book, that's like banning butter from crumpets, rhyme from Betjeman or Stephen Fry from Norfolk.

I have written to beg them to keep him. If you wish to do likewise, here's the place to go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/contact/

Edit:

Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=radio+4&init=quick#/group.php?gid=255110710260&ref=nf

Edited by Guest

Nooooooooooooo not the shipping forecast how dare they meddle.

The shipping forecast is part of my life (sadly I can recite most of the shipping areas in order and even worse actually understand it), I've listened to it since childhood ,my Dad worked on the cross channel ferries - the shipping forecast meant I could work out if he would be home on time or not!

I've emailed too.

I remember the hoo hah when one of the areas was amalgamated, renamed? Can't remember which.

This is a great read.

Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast

by Charlie Connelly

From Amazon

"This solemn, rhythmic intonation of the shipping forecast on BBC radio is as familiar as the sound of Big Ben chiming the hour. Since its first broadcast in the 1920s it has inspired poems, songs and novels in addition to its intended objective of warning generations of seafarers of impending storms and gales. Sitting at home listening to the shipping forecast can be a cosily reassuring experience. There's no danger of a westerly gale eight, veering southwesterly increasing nine later (visibility poor) gusting through your average suburban living room, blowing the Sunday papers all over the place and startling the cat. Yet familiar though the sea areas are by name, few people give much thought to where they are or what they contain. In ATTENTION ALL SHIPPING Charlie Connelly wittily explores the places behind the voice, those mysterious regions whose names seem often to bear no relation to conventional geography. Armchair travel will never be the same again."

I remember the hoo hah when one of the areas was amalgamated, renamed? Can't remember which.

They renamed Finisterre. It became Fitzroy. Apparently there was a Spanish bit of coast called Finisterre too, so they renamed it after the dude who founded the Met Office. :(

It's just poetry, isn't it?

See?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/sep/16/shipping-forecast-sacking-radio4

And this poem by Carol Ann Duffy sums it up beautifully too:

Prayer

Some days, although we cannot pray, a prayer

utters itself. So, a woman will lift

her head from the sieve of her hands and stare

at the minims sung by a tree, a sudden gift.

Some nights, although we are faithless, the truth

enters our hearts, that small familiar pain;

then a man will stand stock-still, hearing his youth

in the distant Latin chanting of a train.

Pray for us now. Grade 1 piano scales

console the lodger looking out across

a Midlands town. Then dusk, and someone calls

a child's name as though they named their loss.

Darkness outside. Inside, the radio's prayer -

Rockall. Malin. Dogger. Finisterre.

I've emailed too.

This is a great read.

Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast

by Charlie Connelly

I've read it. It is well worth getting hold of a copy.

Was most upset when Finisterre became Fitzroy. The word Finisterre has such a lovely sound to it.

We had a goldfish called Finisterre once, My dear old Dad was convinced that it was called Fred Astaire.

Noo! I love the Shipping Forecast - so soothing. Thanks for raising this.

Couldn't agree more Olly, it is soothing, it's a bit like listening to cricket on the radio, I haven't got a clue what's going on, but it is very cosy. I will certainly complain!

Tessa

Me too, all I can remember is that one place they mention sounds like a washing powder :lol: I must listen to it later than you though as I'm sure it's a woman reading it out :oops: Now if they stop playing sailing by then I will be very upset!!!!!

Amanda

Washing powder? Which one's that?! :lol:

Fairisle jumpers covered in Fisher and Dogger dirt? Smelling like a Viking? Set your machine to the Forties, use some Biscay-bonate of Sole-da, or some mild green Faeroes Liquid and get your clothes Wight-er than white!

Or was it one of the other places?!

* Viking

* North Utsire

* South Utsire

* Forties

* Cromarty

* Forth

* Tyne

* Dogger

* Fisher

* German Bight

* Humber

* Thames

* Dover

* Wight

* Portland

* Plymouth

* Biscay

* Trafalgar

* FitzRoy (formerly Finisterre)

* Sole

* Lundy

* Fastnet

* Irish Sea

* Shannon

* Rockall

* Malin

* Hebrides

* Bailey

* Fair Isle

* Faeroes

* Southeast Iceland

My friend once went to a 'Shipping Forecast' party. Everyone had to dress as one of the areas ... Viking was naturally very popular but apparently there were some imaginative interpretations of some of the others!

Thanks for posting that poem, ACC - it's one of my favourites! :D