KateB

I NEED an alpaca...!

Just been flicking through September's edition of GYO magazine and they've got an article on alpacas - I now feel I need to move because I need two alpacas - what wonderful, extremely cute animals! They're like fancy sheep!

Does anyone out there have any experience with them?

My best friend is taking me to 'walk with llamas' tomorrow in the Ashdown Forest! Apparently there's a big breeding centre for llamas and alpacas and they let visitors walk the llamas round the forest for about 2 hours a day. This is one of my most bizarre presents, but it should be fun.

My eldest sister walked a llama down Guildford high street as part of a friend's 40th birthday last week! Apparently it was great fun but llamas do spit... :? I've done my research and apparently alpacas don't - they're very affectionate by what I can gather....

I need a lottery win... :roll:

Oops, wandering through the kitchen- just imagine the poos :roll: My chickens make straight for the kitchen anytime someone forgets to shut the door properly, and I'm getting a bit tired of cleaning the kitchen floor everytime they poo. I've given up on putting the mop and bucket away, it ust sits there- on permanent standby :roll: But just imagine the mess alpacas could make :shock: . Better still, don't imagine it, I can't bear the images it conjures up in my head :shock:

It says in GYO that Alpaca dung makes great fertiliser for the vegetable plot and there is no need to rot it down and unlike horse manure it doesn't smell so in fact they probably would be fine wandering through the kitchen the poo is sort of large pellets it might stick to your shoe if you walked in it though............... :lol::lol::lol: I can just see an Alpaca sitting at the breakfast bar waiting for it's toast.......... :lol::lol::lol:

There are quite a few alpacas up here - they cope well with upland/moorland conditions and don't get the foot rot problems that sheep do. I've also heard they don't spit like their cousins. The most valuable ones to go for have white hair because you can dye it any colour. Try and get a pair with the finest hair you can because it sells for a higher price. From what I've heard they are easy affectionate animals - so you will need a couple more places at the breakfast table - but the poo is easier to pick up than your hens' poo :D

Will you be taking up spinning now :wink: