Mel (& Paul)

Square gardening

Well rotted donkey poo........

I'm having a 'seriously green with jealousy' moment here :(

Don't you wouldn't believe what a nuisance it is... obviously, we are all donkey pooed out here: My soil just couldn't take any more.. The remaining heap (currently about 8 feet high and 15 feet wide) is sitting waiting for a local farmer to come and take it away...for which we have to PAY HIM!! He then uses it on his fields!

Do you ever drive up to the north east Annie :?::lol::lol:

No, seriously, why not contact your nearest allotments - up here we pay to get even fresh manure, let alone well rotted stuff - and as for anything from organic or even non-chemical sprayed pasture.........

You have a little gold mine of a mountain there if you can let the right people know about it.

Allotments 4 all forum might be a good place to find local allotment groups with their cheque books at the ready. If you keep your donkeys organically, or at least chemical free and don't spray grass etc, then you really are quids in :D:D

We have a friend in colchester that bags up her horsey poo and sells it for £1 a bag - they make 100s of pounds a year. They have a really good system too - they have an old bucket with the bottom cut off so then they put that over a plastic bag and bung the poo through the bucket into the bag and then just put a tie around it - they have a little sign outside their gate and I think an honesty pot so that when people drive by they just grab a bag and leave their pound in the pot. :lol:

:shock::shock::shock:

Pleased to say I now have my square foot gardening book so next year we'll be able to grown lots of lovely veggies / salad.

We also got our first organic veggie box from Riverford in Devon - lovely stuff (but they put in an extra lettuce - so now we have 2 and neither of us are big lettuce lovers) - am desperately thinking of recipes - thought of lettuce soup - any good ideas????

like copious amounts of red wine then :wink:

I dont have a juicer - it is on my wish list!

I have to say the apples we have had from Riverford are FANTASTIC - so juicy and sweet - I always bought English apples from the supermarket - but didnt realise what "real" apples should taste like.

I also made a bubble and squeak (organic) fritatta with cabbage, carrots, potoatoes and onions from Riverford and eggs from our happy-clappy choooks! I thought it was delish - but Paul doesnt like cabbage and still said he could taste it. hmpph. Will have to find another way to get him to eat it!! :twisted: