badgerbluebadger

Quail and chickens??

Can you keep quail with chickens?

I keep quail in a large aviary with pekin bantams on the floor to eat any seed the quails drop, the quail tend to sit in the trees in the aviary, and the bantams just scratch about on the floor, the two never seem to interact. I've never seen the quails being bullied by the hens, If your going to keep them together just make sure that they have sufficent space away from the chickens.

I keep my quail in a separate run within the WIR. Just before Christmas, one of the quail got out in the morning without me noticing and spent the day with my hooligans (brahmas, pekins, hybrids, etc) and was quite happy and unhurt by the experience.

:shock:

I'm not going to be releasing them together on purpose though.

the quail in a run inside the WIR is my plan... but someone told me yesterday that you shouldnt keep quail with chickens because quail can harbour Newcastle Disease??? not much I can do about it, because my quail run is already inside our electric fence along with the chooks, so I guess we'll stick with it.

just wondered if anyone else had heard this?

GOT THIS OFF THE OMLET SITE: Newcastle disease - Symptoms: Birds craning skywards in an attempt to breathe. Green loose droppings. The good news.. No cases have been seen in the UK for around 20 years! The bad news.. The day after you see the symptoms in the bird, it will be dead. Contact a vet if you suspect this to have caused your bird's demise.

I think they'd live together ok, I've seen them kept together, its just how they'd live in it.

What kind of set up are they in - do they go into a house at night?

Quail wouldn't cope getting into a (cube orange) at night, may do if you took the legs off, but even then its not the best if you take the roosting bars out with the 2 trays (and nestbox) being separated.

Guessing you already know you can't let them out as they'll just sly straight off.

Hello, newbie here!

I am new to quail, having had chickens for several years but not for a while I had the opportunity to have a few quails. I see the logic in not run sharing with chickens, especially as I am hoping to re home some ex bats- but is there anything else I should know? Can they use the same land albeit at differing times? Cross contaminating or disease or anything?

My intention is to have 2 runs one for quail and one for chucks, currently I have a couple of quail in an apex run which I move around the garden and another bigger static run. I was hoping to get another bigger static run ( the ones about 6ft tall with attached box) but I would like to move them around the garden to keep the weeds down. They cant be free range just yet as I have a dog. ( in the future the chucks would roam) So can they go on the same areas? or do I need to keep one side chuck one side quail? Can I see to them one after the other or should I wash hands etc first?

Also any other quail do's and donts would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Hi Willow,

As long as you are sensible, keep both sets of birds wormed regularly and the ground isn't over-used or sour then I think you'll be fine!

As you'll already know the Quail can't free range but the chickens can (dog pending).

Wash your hands after as with hygiene standards but no need to wash your hands inbetween feeding the quail and chickens :)

Hi, Thank you so much for the advice its really appreciated.

Is there a specific quail wormer as they are that much smaller than chucks or can they have a smaller dose? I feed garlic powder (kinda assumed it would be useful as with chucks) is that okay?

I love my birds, I laid in bed this morning - my son got the birds up - and just listened to the boys calling =D so sweet!

Garlic and Apple Cider Vinegar are good gut conditioners, they'll make the gut less attractive to worms, but they aren't really a wormer.

Flubenvet is currently the only licenced wormer for poultry - will be fine for the chickens and quail - you just add a scoop (provided) to 2kg of feed and feed it to the chickens.

Alternatively the SPR Centre (and other places) sell Marriages pellets with Flubenvet milled into them which you just feed for a week :)

Wish I'd seen this at the weekend. We got given two little quail a few weeks ago but needed the run they were in for some 6 week old chickens. Put them in another run where two of my Welsummers are, had to rescue them this morning as the hens have attacked them :( They'd lived with hens at their previous home so I'd, very wrongly, assumed they'd be okay.

Not too much damage done but I do feel awful that it could have been avoided.