Anita

Any one tried out fleece?

Hi Anita,

I read the survey - looks interesting! I used to keep piggies years ago, but they were in a shed on deep litter. If I ever do get them again (a distinct possibility with animal loving children around!) I would certainly give this a go. Maybe you need to be the one to give it a go in the eglu and feed back to the forum! Fleece from a fabric shop is not so expensive, and even fleece throws or blankets can be picked up quite cheap.

Let us know how you get on! :D

Ah - that sort of fleece! Thanks for the link Anita - now I understand! They look quite cute don't they!

You could try using a fleece blanket from IKEA - my aunt got me one for christmas, and I've seen on the website they're only £2.59! Here's a link:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15594&catalogId=10103&storeId=7&productId=10628&langId=-20&categoryId=15849&chosenPartNumber=20089925

First of all I would ask if your piggies are kept indoors or out :?:

I keep my 4 in a shed. The best bedding you can use for piggies is Hay, and lots of it.They love it. :D In the wild they scurry along in long grasses and they love when cleaning day arrives, which is every 2 or three days.

I am lucky because I know a friendly farmer who lets me have "real" bays of fresh hay.Not the rubbish you see in pet shops.

All of these gimmicks in pet shops are not necessarily for the benefit of the animals.Just another way to get us to part with our hard earned cash :!:

hope this helps

(green eglu)GNRPP

(brown guinea)(brown guinea)(brown guinea)(brown guinea)

(creamrabbit)

I've heard fleece can be used as bedding for guinea pigs. I'm curious to know if anyone has any one tried it out?

I used several fleece blankets which required changing and washing on daily basis so i have millions of them but i found that the urine smell expecially of my boys was soo overpowering it was making my eyes water and my house smell bad so i have gone back to woodshavings for time being although i hate using them as they can cause respitory problems thinking of using care fresh or possibly auboise which i have heard praised alot in recent days!

I think the fleece is ok for indoor piggies but not, in my opinion, if they're outdoors. A load of hay and a plastic iglu or even an upturned cardboard boot box with an entrance hole will give them that extra bit of warmth.
MY Piggies are all kept indoors we have 6 2 x 2yr olds and 4 x 4mths old babies

lol :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: for a minute i imagined 62 piggies all 2 years of age!!!!! and some with 4x4 wheels....ha ha ha :roll::wink:

Hi, for what it's worth my daughters Piggy"Splodgicus" likes to hang out in the kitchen with us, he has a shoe box placed on a plastic keed mat lined with fleece as his indoor home. We Chose fleece as he has always had a penchant for snuggling down fleecy blankets and slippers and there ais a steady supply of outgrown/worn out jackets to hand it made sense ( on the basis that allowing the piggy into the house makes sense! ) to give it a try.

His out door hutch is currently provided with shredded paper which he seems to prefer to hay- we had a flood a while ago and all we had for bedding was paper- chooks loved it too and it beats lugging bales around

(guinea)

Final thought- if you do use fleece and wash it, make sure you do not use fabric softener and do get all the detergent out

Annic,

No idea how to put bits in signiture block- 1 stroppy bantam, 2 baldy rescues and a confused GP

His out door hutch is currently provided with shredded paper which he seems to prefer to hay- we had a flood a while ago and all we had for bedding was paper- chooks loved it too and it beats lugging bales around

(guinea)

The piggie still needs plenty of hay though, apparently 70% (or maybe more) of a pigs diet needs to be hay. :)

Oh, he gets hay too, hand shredded dandilion leaves, baby carrots, broad bean tips- he is a very spoilt piggy, follows my daughter round like a little dog, watches TV with her- likes Primeval & Dr Who.

The only cloud on his piggy paradise is chicken Nibble who has suddenly taken an extreme dislike to him and chases him when she gets the chance.

(white guinea)