Ygerna

Can you talk to me about Woodburners please?

I would assume the arch is the lintel - as long as there isn't a big block of stone/concrete anywhere lower than that. An arched fireplace sounds lovely!

I don't think having the ashpan full is a problem. Don't forget to keep a bed of ash on the grate, though.

Absolutely no concrete, stone or metal below that, just some rotten old bricks badly mortared in, I guess from when the fireplace was blocked up. Duncan and Imogen are off to Hong Kong in April, so I might have a go at knocking it out then. I'll give the chap who fitted the stove a call and check it's ok, but if I wrap a good thick blanket or four around the stove and knock out very carefully, I think I can do it with very little bother and then just slap on a bit more render and plaster. I can do that.

I do actually have a victorian fireplace somewhere that would fit in exactly from the looks of things, but there would preclude having a stove ;) Maybe I could pop it into one of the bedrooms as a decorative feature....

I find that single logs don't burn well, you are better with about three in there of differing sizes propped at angles against each other, if they are too flat they don't draw the flames properly. I usually have one one one side front to back with a couple of others propped on top of it from side to side if that makes sense. My parents used to have two stoves which had a grate inside them and used logs successfully. Wood usually needs an ash bed on which to burn at it's best though.

You poor things! I've decided to knock out the extra courses carefully as the arch looks really solid and brilliant and there isn't any sign of any other lintel in there. But I'm not going to do it until April when OH and the baby are away for the week, to minimise the amount of black snot that poor baby has to put up with - after the fire was fitted, we were all sneezing black for weeks!

Hope your LO is feeling better soon!