kitchens

Help - My neighbour has a rabbit and I don't think .........

they have done enough to make sure it is warm enough.

I am very friendly with them and go to each others house for coffee and stuff.

Do I say anything. I think they need to cover the hutch up with a blanket or something as its rather open. From what I can see they haven't really gone to too much bother packing it out with straw either.

Help omlets!

(brown white rabbit)

I've not got much straw left myself. It's blizzarding here and the wind is so cold. Personally I would have bought it inside. They are lovely people but I know only bought the poor little thing because DS wanted one. It's all by itself at the top of the garden about 100 ft away from the house. I feel sorry for it anyway let alone at the moment.

How do rabbits fare in the cold?

It does sound like the poor thing could do with a bit more protection but if he has been outside all the time he should have grown a winter coat. Please don't suggest she brings the bun indoors (unless she has an unheated conservatory/garage) as it would be too warm for him, he will then shed his winter coat and won't be able to go back outside until spring. You could suggest she brings the hutch up to house and face it away from prevailing winds. Covering it with a bit of old carpet/blanket/duvet and a tarpaulin at night would also be good.

Having said all that one of my rabbits is currently sat in the snow outside in a snowstorm. He loves it! :lol:

All of the suggestions are good ones. Would it be cheeky to tell her about "rabbit forum"s you go onto and how helpful you've found them. It might generate interest in winter protection. Or perhaps you could offer a "spare" tarpaulin or something similar in lieu of straw which you're short of. I personally don't think I would be offended if my neighbour raised the subject. Perhaps you could begin by showing concern for the poor little wild birds visiting the garden and how they are fairing in this weather and kinda move on from there - she may even ask you if you think bunny is warm enough. Anything's worth a go - let us know how you get on. Your concern is most admirable :D