BeckyBoo

rabbit run question

Hi there, can I ask how you guys have got your rabbit runs set up? I want mine to be on grass so they can dig a bit and graze etc but obviously am wary of them digging. I say this because I had mine on an old veg patch that I'd dug up, put chicken wire down, then put the earth back on top then the rabbit bedding pending getting some turf in the spring. That is until the Colditz two, well, Smudge mostly - she's the ringleader, took it into their heads to dig down, pull the layers of chicken wire APART, then leg it into the garden. Cue panicked phone call from eldest daughter and Nanny chasing them round the compost heap for half an hour!! :roll::lol:

So anyway, they're now on the patio looking most disgusted and at the weekend I'll be re-thinking the veg patch plot. Have they got to be on concrete?

BeckyBoo

Not sure I can give good advice as mine don't dig but during the cold months (probably October to March) my eglu/run are up on the terrace and I let them out during the day so that they can go on the lawn if they wish (they usually wish). They're on the terrace because the grass would be too cold/muddy/sodden at the moment. I have a piece of ply cut to fit the whole run which is the base and it's easy to sweep out and a little less cold for them we hope.

In the warmer and hopefully drier months they move down to the lawn but they don't try to dig. I don't know if you have an Omlet run but they are fox proof and pretty sturdy so I'm thinking that your rabbits would have to make a tunnel to get out. If they dig tunnels I can't think of what to suggest, other than the ply which I use now. Unfortunately it would mean that your bunnies couldn't graze when in their run and it would kill off the grass.

Maybe someone else can give you some more productive ideas :)

(black white rabbit)(black white rabbit)(red eglu)

I have the omlet wire under my run and so they can dig a bit but not tunnel out.

However last summer the grass got a bit long (when the mower was broken) and the wire didn't sit right down flat on the grass so they took advatanage and staged an escape from one corner early in the morning.

But being very spoilt they sat about two feet from the run munching the grass and were happily picked up and retrurned to the eglu. They haven't tried it since and I have been more careful with the wire.

Maybe try the anti dig wire from omlet it's a bit stronger than chicken wire but does make moving the run more of a 2 person job.