Cooks

Adding Mezzanine Levels

well my run is 12 x 6ft with cube on outisde and currently I have 5 girls in there but two are big orpies.. :lol: my thinking is I would like 2 more girls however hubby is really not happy with extending the run as its a lot of extra work with the concrete base etc.... so we are adding mezzanine levels bringing the floor space to the same as if it were extended. it would be 10 square metres ish when the mezaanine levels are up.

I have told him I want them so they are able to fold back against the WIR so it is easier to clean it all out, clever idea I thought :whistle:

anyone else have mezzanines?? and any pics???

Edited by Guest

I think you've seen mine Cooks, but will add just incase :wink:

DSC02276_resize.jpg

So you can see, the rabbit run main mezzanine level (which can be closed off for introductions or left open so the girls can use upstairs and downstairs - it can also be lifted up for cleaning underneath), the 2 childrens plastic table and part of the large plastic pasting table.

What you can't see is the 2 tiered telephone table which is near the cube.

These additional "levels" have added an additional 5 metres squared to my run :D

Right....so imagine Debs rabbit run is as high as the centre bar of her side panels and that the rabbit run extends the width of the WIR.

THEN....that the side of the rabbit run facing us is completely removable for cleaning and has a nifty door to allow access to the (orange eglu) that will be inside.

THAT is what i mean....does that make anymore sense? :anxious:

I think having "foldable" levels is a great idea 8) . All my perches are fairly permanent (with cable ties) and it's a job to get in to s"Ooops, word censored!"e off the copious amounts of poo (more now they're sleeping there overnight :evil::roll: ).

It's not a huge area, but my girls do seem to enjoy using the shelf that's attached to the garage wall .... (I have more branches/bits of wood than in that photo now, and they use them all 8) )

3911452433_5f31a290c2_m.jpg

Right....so imagine Debs rabbit run is as high as the centre bar of her side panels and that the rabbit run extends the width of the WIR.

THEN....that the side of the rabbit run facing us is completely removable for cleaning and has a nifty door to allow access to the (orange eglu) that will be inside.

THAT is what i mean....does that make anymore sense? :anxious:

Sounds genius, but remember that you want something that can be left open or closed, as once the intros are complete, you will want the girls to have access to upstairs and downstairs.

We have started calling our downstairs "the Day cube", as this tends to be where my lot go when they want a bit of a lie down and a kip :lol:

intros easier, sick bay, broody pen :whistle:

Diagrams will have to be done later as I am meant to be writing a report :anxious:

Agree completely, my intros have gone fab using my mezzanine, was going to use it as a broody pen too (until I saw the (blue eglu):oops: )

My Hubby came home yesterday with these 3 massive big wooden crates - think like a pallet, but hip height 8)

I am pinching the nicest one to use as a mezzanine level for my girl - happily it has diagonal struts on the bottom which he can remove to allow access to the underneath bit too.

The only proble with mine is that as my pen is round,it needs to go slap bang in the middle really.

Will post piccy when I get around to setting it all up (probably summer!)