janus

25m netting - what size run would this give??

Hello, we have 3 chickens which are slowly destroying our lawn!!

I also have 3 children (one of whom is just 20 months and likely to pick up poo!) who are going to start wanting to be out in the garden more soon.

Was thinking to save our lawn to build a big run with their eglu cube inside but really have no idea what 25 metres of netting would provide. We have quite a big garden and one area in particular would be great to give over as their patch as it has quite a few trees and shrubs in it which they like to forage around. They are however used to the whole garden in the day so I don't want to really cheese them off so wonder whether I just have to invest in the 50 metre netting?

Also, could I build a sort of door in it to get into in the evening so I can tuck them up?!

Many thanks (btw it's not going to be electrified as wouldn't have a clue how to!).

From 25m you could make a 6.25 x 6.25m square so just over 39 square metres (if my maths is correct) :anxious:

I have a "gate" in my netting simply by having two poles closer together but this is a bit rickety. I am waiting on my OH to put in posts for a proper little wooden gate.

Wow, that was quick!!!

Ok, now I'm really gonna confuse matters but I only need netting on 3 sides as I will put one long row and then two shorter sides which will actually be right up to our back fence (oh dear, does that make sense!!!).

How do you work this out, is it 15m for the long side, then 5m for the short sides or is it more mathematical than that, how did I get that o'level maths?!