ali-s

Linkabord - Raised Beds

ali-s wrote

the dowels are about twice the length they need to be. Are yours the same? I wanted to cut them to size but OH says to leave them and push the extra dowel into the ground

We've just planted up our first link a bord bed and I left the extra dowel sticking up. I then ran some twine round the top and used this as a support for some neting to keep the squirrels off.

Morag

Thanks for the pics, they look very good don't they. I have just ordered from link-a-bord after reading about them on here. I'm glad I chose green too - obviously a popular colour!

I rang them because I wasn't quite sure what I needed, the lady was very helpful and she calculated the amount of dowel I need, because she said you cut them twice as long, and push the rest into the ground. I like the idea of using it as a netting support though.

All I need to do now is get rid of the weeds :wink: before my order arrives!

I've got 2 1m x 2m beds from Linkabord thhis time last year and they've been great. They've been bashed by the kids, hubby strimming and my tender touch gardening without any signs of wear and tear.

There where quite a few huge beams came out of the loft when we had the conversion done so going to make a couple of wooden beds this summer for comparison (and for free ).

The dowels sticking up is a good idea, luckily we don't have squirrels. I am concerned that Archie will cock his leg up the veg though :shock:

Have you planted anything yet? I thought I could see plant labels :? Mine are covered in fleece to warm the soil up a bit. I am tempted to put a few seeds in now :think:

I finally put mine together (it's taken me this long to clear the ground) :oops: and they are brilliant, just wanted to say thanks for whoever first recommended these. A bit tricky getting the dowel through the holes, but they are easy to make.

Do you think you could use these for to surround woodchips for the run? My log-roll looks quite untidy - I know Linkabord recommend stretchers for larger areas, but if you weren't actually filling it with earth, it wouldn't need to be so strong. If I hadn't already invested quite a lot in log-roll I'd be tempted, it looks messy (lack of skill on my part) and it isn't keeping the wood chips in very well!

I am sure you could use the boards as edging for the woodchips. in the booklet I received there is a picture of the boards used as edging.

I have had 2 more bed kits delivered this week. 1 1 metre kit and 1 1/2 metre kit. I have made two beds measuring 1metre by 1/2 a metre for my Runner Beans. I have made a liner to go inside using a cheap tarpaulin. The beds will be on the decking. I got the idea from the Dobies catalogue, they are selling a Runner Bean bed with liner. I have made 2 beds which work out cheaper :D