SeramaSilly Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 I finally got a gold partridge pekin and a buff plymouth rock bantam from Devonshire Traditional Breeds about a week ago to add to my little flock. They are both gorgeous of course but Hattie the pekin is adorable but sounds like a baby seagull!!! How can such a little s"Ooops, word censored!" of a thing be sooooo noisy!!! Sophie x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minkey Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 I am new to chicken keeping & pick up my pekins on Sunday, I am so excited! Minkey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
joza2210 Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Pekins are lovely One of my favourite breeds ... Can not wait to see some pictures Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jellykelly Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Pics please I'm working my way through the breeds to see if I can determine a clear favourite. Pekins are currently up there with their scatty little personalities (if somewhat demented on occassion!) and fluffy little looks. You'll waste many hours just watching their antics. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Verity F Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Hooray, congratulations! I've got three Pekins and they're bonkers. Penny (black) is quiet as a mouse, smallest in size, loves a cuddle and is leader of the pack. Dixie (silver partridge) is a rude busy-body of a chook, constantly mouthing off, bit of a bully and usually up to no good. Lola (lavender) is the biggest of the three, skittish, refuses to crouch, and has recently taken to wailing like a strangled banshee when she sees me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
squidsin Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 I've got two - a white one and a cuckoo one - but am adding a buff and/or a silver partridge this weekend as my little ladies are the cutest things you ever did see, and the perfect chooks for a small urban garden. You'll love yours! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 congratulations Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
madchickenlady Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Aw, my gold partridge is called Purdy (named by an Omleteer! ) I have six pekins, and they are fab. My blue, Doris, and silver partridge, Celia, make the seagull noise too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Love pekins . Would love to have lots but prudence says "no" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grracee Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 After going to the Wernlas about a month ago i've fallen in love with pekins Really want to get some but I think it would be hard to convince my nan that i should have some more What are they like to keep? Might be able to persuade her if they aren't too noisy.... Would love to see some pictures of your pekins! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SeramaSilly Posted May 6, 2010 Author Share Posted May 6, 2010 Thanks everyone - I don't know about piccies though - I have never been able to work out how to post pics on here! Grace - she is only noisy when she sees me and it probably isnt as bad as I think as my neighbours don't seem to notice! I let them freerange for the first time together tonight - being watched by the indignant big girls shut in their run! I didn't think I would get them back in the eglu - rattling the corn dish didnt work - so in the end I put the dish near them and dropped some corn into the dish to entice them! I had to do that every few steps until I got to the eglu with the greedy pekin following me and the very timid buff rock finally following her in because she's scared to be left behind! Sophie x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 recently taken to wailing like a strangled banshee when she sees me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grracee Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Thanks everyone - I don't know about piccies though - I have never been able to work out how to post pics on here! I use http://www.tinypic.com , you upload your photo you want and then copy & paste the link that says "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" & put it on a reply on here and it should work. Hope that helps! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Congratulations! Effy squeals, but Blanche is very quite, Sometimes. Looking forward 2 pics x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...