johnandkymberley Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 Hi, we have 6 Hens in an Eglu Cube, do we NEED to let them free range? or can we leave them in the run? we are thinking of buying the run extension but just wanted to ask this question first? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 6 in a cube and standard run is not enough room in my opinion. I would advise getting a rub extension or 2, and would recommend free ranging when possible (making sure they are safe from foxes of course ) The more room your hens have, and the more chance they get to free-range, the happier they will be. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 6 in a cube and standard run is not enough room in my opinion. I would advise getting a rub extension or 2, and would recommend free ranging when possible (making sure they are safe from foxes of course ) The more room your hens have, and the more chance they get to free-range, the happier they will be. What she said Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 I agree, they need more than the standard run,and for six hens that don't free range I think I'd want two extensions. Assuming you get extensions, they don't have to free range; they won't die, lose the ability to move around or otherwise suffer. However you may get bullying or feather-pecking problems because they'll be bored and get fed up with being in there all the time. I love seeing my hens pecking about in the garden, their free-ranging is limited due to my work and other commitments, but they really bring the garden to life for me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
txswanie Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 I have a cube and a standard run and I think 4 is enough for that size. I let mine free range all day. I would get the extension or you will have squashed, unhappy chickens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
johnandkymberley Posted May 7, 2010 Author Share Posted May 7, 2010 I think we are going to let them free range when we are there to supervise them and make sure they behave lol we want them to get used to it and not get completely stuck in the Run all day, we have a Very big garden with Plenty of grass for them to explore :D Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 No experiance yet with the cube, but my friend has. the run is too little for 6 chickens, she has 2 run extentions with 5 birds. Its fine untill you get something sorted- Or you can let them FR under your supervision! (make sure the garden is fox proof). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 I'd say definitely get the extension anyway. TBH there is very little room for escaping squabbles in the standard run. If they can free range too, even better. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
johnandkymberley Posted May 8, 2010 Author Share Posted May 8, 2010 Well, what we've done today is to move the Cube to on top mud and concrete and put down some bark mulch for the meantime untill we get them some wood chippings. What a cafuffle it all was trying to get it all into place, chop down this bush, trim down this bush, saw through some fencing at back for trays etc etc lol was a nightmare but worth all the effort,scratches and chicken poop on me trainers lol We have secured as much as we can the garden and will try let them FR whenever possible, which could be everyday for an hour or two depending on the weather and whos home etc. the girls are happy with the new position (as far as understanding their happiness goes lol ) one even went inside and laid a fresh egg for us as appreciation :D Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Can only echo what has been said. I have three in a Cube plus run extension. They are fine in the run when I can't let them out, but they get out almost every day anyway, sometimes all day. I would like two or three more, but if I did this, I'd probably get a larger walk-in-run built on the site of the cube first, as I don't think the run would be large enough for five, even with one extension. We can expand sideways but not lengthways, so can't add another extension, hence the need for a WIR. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Def agree with all that's been said earlier. Our hens ( 3 standard sized + 2 pekins ) spend most of their day in their garden run. This is a 12 metre x 3 metre run with shrubs bushes and logs . But despite all of this they still demand total freedeom and accoringly they get some garden trashing time too.Axx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...