The_smeeeths Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Hurray we have picked up our 6 ex-batts from the farm! They are currently sitting in their new cube peeking out at the scary world! Unfortunately when my husband went with the guy to pick up the boxes of chickens I glanced over at the shed and the door was open OMG it was disgusting I could have puked I had to rush back to the car and try and think of something else! But I keep seeing it in my head! I have to think that at least we have rescued 6 I know its nothing compared to the hundreds he killed on tues but at least we have done our best and 6 are going to have at least a happy life. If anyone is thinking of getting chickens please please get ex-batts untill you have seen the conditions that they "live" in don't think a lot of people quite understand how disgusting it is. There rant over. I am going to go out in a min and see how they are doing.... rubbish day to arrive raining and blustery but hopefully they will venture out soon. Will keep you posted on how they get on. XXXXX Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 I know its a tragedy isn't it I've not been to a battery farm personally but I know enough Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Thankyou for saving them. Its horrible at the battery house.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
veggiemad Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Well done on rescuing the poor ex batts- we have 3 already and planned to get 4 more on 30th. I cant wait - they are a joy to have and see them recover- I do worry about those that arent rescued - but I know that even a few can have a better life. well done you. Soon you'll be filling that cube with them!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Hope your chickens all settle down well to their new life. It doesn't bear thinking about what conditions they 'lived' in before. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
squidsin Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Aw well done you. I feel guilty as I intended to get ex-batts, but decided to get bantams instead because I only have a small garden, in a built-up urban area, and was worried about space, noise and smell issues! I will definitely be getting some ex-batts in a few years when we move to the countryside (which we will eventually) and have plenty of space. Hope your girls are fighting fit soon, and lucky them for having someone lovely to give them a whole new lease of life. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennydavies Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Well done you lovely people at least six of the poor little mites have a lovely "forever home" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 ex-batts rule! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Well done, now they are safe at last. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blue-DiamondChick07 Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Well done you for giving 6 a lovely happy retirement I get my 3 at the end of the month, so hang in there girls, must be awful Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Well done, they can look forward to a lovely retirement with you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_smeeeths Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 Just thought I would report on the first day. Yesterday we put them straight into the cube but left the door open so if they felt they wanted to they could emerge. Well after about 2 hours of no movement a little face appeared! As it was a horrible rainy day they just sat looking at the rain and licking the water on the bars! Eventually one ventured halfway day the ladder then all the way after about another 30mins to be honest I was expecting it to take much longer as the last batch we had didnt even know how to walk 2 more had ventured outside before it got dark and had taken themselves back to bed , which is amazing to know that their natural instrinct is still in there and not burried to deep! Couldn't close the cube door as two were sitting on the edge looking out and I thought it was best just to let them be. This morning I go up and they are all out in the run and they are cooing away. Brought tears to my eyes! Thank goodness thought I would put them all out be hand today bu they have done it themselves. I know they are going to be alright! Had an egg yesterday but they had squished it as it was on the rungs but this morning there was one in the hay!!! YEAH clever girls. Just got to think of some interesting names! Thanks to everyone who has posted I appreicate the support Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 well done little girls. Are they eating ok and what do they make of you? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennydavies Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Oohh, bless their little hearts Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_smeeeths Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 Yes they are eating ok. They have layers mash for now but will get them eventually onto pellets then seeds etc. They are very quiet compared to normal chooks but I am sure they will come out of their shell eventually. Very pleased with them. The cats have been sat staring in at them and the dogs are very interested in the latest additions! At least the sun is shining today so that might entice them out for longer ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
veggiemad Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 wonderful news to hear they are getting on so well so quickly. Welldone- you must be a good chicken mummy! :clap:o Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
staceychristie Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 ExBatt Babes are so loving. Couldn't believe that ours were only here for 10 mins, and they started scratching the grass. We did have to add a plank to help the girls go up and down to our cube, as their poor legs were very weak. They'll love you forever WELL DONE !!!! Stacey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...