Janty Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 We had a call today from the estate agents. Someone wants to buy our house (the house I owned when I met hubby). They said that she thinks it's perfect for her BUT she wants to rent it from us for two months first as the sale of her house has fallen through. They confirmed that the sale had fallen through as they have the house on their books, however this seems very odd to me. I can understand her predicament but what guarantee do I have that she will still buy the house when her sale goes through? I have heard of this type of sale before but I was wondering if anybody had any first hand experiences and whether there was any advice out there. I have to call the estate agents back on Monday to ask lots of questions as the girl there today quite honestly admitted that she was new and so she was unable to answer my queries. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rosie Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 I'm not an estate agent but a mere solicitor. In a word, don't do it. Was that 3 or 4 words You will be subject to all the landlord legislation, have to grant an AST (Assured Shorthold Tenancy-minimum 6 mths) and get gas and elec certs plus EPC etc. You will also need to give minimum 2 months notice to get rid of your tenant if it doesn't work out, and if she doesn't leave you will need a court order. Look at the MSE site, forum pages, for some good info. about property sales and lettings and other stuff. Why not just agree to sell to her when and if she sells her current house. In the meantime, keep your options open. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 No expert here but will try to get hold of my friend who will know. Got to say it sounds like you could end up with a tenancy problem here. Definitely agree with previous posting seek some advice sounds very strange! indie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 I was going to say the same as rosie; most tenancy agreements are for a minimum of six months and the hassle of letting for two months is not worth it. If she wants it she should put in an offer and proceed as normal; I assume that she is trying to secure the house without going to the expense of a bridging loan. What if she moves in and then someone else comes along with a better offer ... what if she decides she doesn't want to buy it after all ... I would stick to your guns and refuse. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Completely agree with Rosie. Too much hassle. Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, having seen the hassle a friend who owns a couple of properties has had when she let another friend rent a property for 3 months, on the strict understanding that they would go before some already booked tenants who were re-locating moved in.. She didn't, and appeared to have the law on her side. I'd be instructing another estate agent I think too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Don't do it. What if she moves in and then decides against buying? Or if it takes more than 2 months for her to sell hers (which is likely - finding a new buyer and completing within 2 months is ambitious, and she has no incentive to rush this if she's renting the house she wants to buy)? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted May 11, 2010 Author Share Posted May 11, 2010 We have said a very firm NO. She has said that she is keen to buy as the house is very near to where she works. Anyway, she has a buyer for her flat and has put in an offer for the house which we have accepted. It will stay on the market though in case things don't progress with her chain. Thanks for all your advice. Jan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Where will you put all your chooks? Hope you are looking for somewhere with many bedrooms for them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gem_Seb Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Hi! I am an estate agent and I have to say we probably wouldnt advise it. The agents have to put the offer forward by law so they are doing their job properly from that aspect. It purley is a trust thing so you need to get as much info from the agents as possible about the woman. Also like someone else has said what about other offers and viewings, will she be akward about letting viewings go ahead if she is living there as you will need to give her notice and get her say so to go into the property if she is renting it from you.. technically there would be no offer accepted until the trial rental is over so you would still be on the market. I also have my house up for sale and personally I wouldnt do it, like other people have said on here you would be then subject to landlord legislation. We do lettings as well and to be honest if a tenant doesnt move out it is very hard and time consuming to move them!! You will already have an EPC in your HIP pack if you are selling but you would need to get a gas check and PAT tests for any electrical items you are leaving in the property. Hope this helps!! Its always good to have options and the agents have to put them forward to you but im sure she could find other properties in the location to rent if she wants to get to know the area.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gem_Seb Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Just read you have already said no!! like you said if she is that keen she will just buy it regardless!! Hope it all goes smoothly for you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted May 12, 2010 Author Share Posted May 12, 2010 She's contacted the estate agents again and said that if we won't let her rent it then she won't buy it. She offered to draw up a contract to buy at her solicitors and make it legal but when I called our solicitors today he confirmed that even this would be more hassle than it's worth. I have told the estate agent to tell her that my solicitor has advised against this and confirm that we do not want to rent anyway. I also asked them to pass on the message that blackmail was not going to persuade me. I was in a bad mood at the time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Woodcat Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 What a cheeky devil. It sounds like even if she bought it now she would be a pain in the proverbial and would probably mess it up. I wouldn't touch her with a barge poll now. Good luck with your sale Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gem_Seb Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 You have definately done the right thing! she sounds like a bit of a messer really... You will find someone else soon enough with no ultimations as well! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 13, 2010 Share Posted May 13, 2010 I can't believe her audacity! How very dare she, that is way out of order. You are so right to blow her out Janty - I have a nasty feeling about this one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted May 13, 2010 Author Share Posted May 13, 2010 You are so right to blow her out Janty - I have a nasty feeling about this one. Me too! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...