Sky Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 (edited) I understand that one of the causes of feather pecking in chickens could be a lack of protein in their diet. What is the best food to give which contains protein. Mine have plenty of layers mash and greens etc but I am not sure what a good souce of protein would be which I am able to feed to my girls. Edited May 9, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Hi Sky, You can give them meal worms, fish, (I give mine sardines) some people give organic cat food..... that any help? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 I give mine rinsed Tuna when they need a protein boost, after a moult etc Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 Thanks very much, I will give tuna a try as I have some here at the moment and they have been having some meal worms. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 don't forget NOT in brine!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 The have to be wet,live meal worms for them to be a source of protein - I believe they dry ones are not a good source at all. I seem to remember that some high protein rabbit/guinea foods can be fed to,as a floor scatter. I have also given mine the odd bit of cat food (actually,they mugged the cat & pinched it,if I am honest ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 The have to be wet,live meal worms for them to be a source of protein - I believe they dry ones are not a good source at all. ) this seems to be another one of thise debatable issues, as various other info says what a good source they are life is never that straight forward is it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Growers pellets are higher in protein as are Breeders pellets, chick crumb, quail pellets and many pigeon foods A small amount of this mixed with the layers pellets would help Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 Oh dear now I am confused - how about sunflower seeds or yogurt or egg or soaked and boiled soy beans??? These are also things which have been suggested to me? At the moment, mine are all rummaging through a spade full of manure which contains lots and lots of wiggly worms!!! Hopefully these are good? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickinboy Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Claret recommended using Alfalfa extract to me. I just mix it in with porridge or normal food. Makes their yolks turn that deep orange too. Seems to be helping with mine so far. Got mine here: http://www.cotswoldchickens.com/alfalfa-extract-373-p.asp Pretty expensive stuff, but you need to make it up at about 3% (I think) of their food. I've had mine about a month and I've barely made a dent in the bucket. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Sunflower seeds are fatty, so too many aren't a good idea. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
eggregiousness Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 don't forget NOT in brine!!! Are any of the tinned sardines OK or do they have to be fresh? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 I'd give them a supplement like Lifeguard, Poultry Spice or poultry tonic as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Mine love tinned chickpeas I rinse them first though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...