stehaggan

My 5 month old Weimaraner boy!!

Hi,

I have a weimaraner puppy, "Jasper" hes adorable such a nice nature everyone comments on how beautiful he is when we are walking him.

When we first got him we thought how lovely it will be to be able to stud him and then have another puppy when he is older. We are still trying to house train him, he doesn't make ANY noises what so ever when he wants to go to the loo or when he wants food or anything so its very hard. He is generally quite good but getting a little bit more ignorant as he is getting older.

Well anyway we have read that castrating is a good idea if you aren't going to breed and it helps with training etc so I'm after your thoughts/experiences. Breeding from him isn't an absolute must it was just a nice idea as he is quite the looker.

Thanks

jas.jpg

Just wanted to say he's gorgeous - those ears are something else.

Saw one near me yesterday that had still got it's tail - and was surprised how different it makes them appear.

Lovely breed - and Jasper is very handsome - and that's definitely a "Who - Me?" expression.

Dawn x

Awww, how gorgeous is he?!?! :mrgreen: A lady I used to work with has a weimaraner, she brought him in when he was a pup & I saw him again the other week and he's full grown now and he's stunning!

As for castration for helping with training etc. I cant really help there. I've had my lab for nearly 8 years now & havent had him castrated & he's been fine with training him. I've recently brought a cocker spaniel male puppy aswell, don't think i'll be getting him castrated either, if i absolutely dont have to. :D

Good luck with Jasper & hope you have many happy memories with him! :clap:

What a beautiful boy :) Castrating will not make him calm or more easy to train. He will go through adolescence soon and push the boundries with you so stand firm. You will have to go back a few steps with training then as he will really push his luck. This is a pretty good balanced guide to castration [Here]

Well Jasper is now 16 months old and I have seen a girl available...

what do i do what do i do?

Has anyone experience in training a puppy when they have an older dog? I really want him to have a companion and I need some advice about how to go about the interaction between the two.

Jasper is great with other dogs maybe just a bit clumsy because he is so big but I know that he will get on fine with a newbie, I am just worried about the training.

awww wow she actually looks like Jasper does now :-)

she is soooo beautiful :-D. They are such a stunning breed.

Well we didn't go to buy her in the end and have decided to wait until the summer when I should have a bit more time to train her but I really really want a girl :-D x

We had Tali when Jazz was 3+ years old and she really hated having a puppy around - I've posted on here about it ....somewhere.......

Once Tali was half grown Jazz was more accepting and they've settled down nicely. It may be easier with a dog and a female and having two females isn't the best combination apparently. As long as you have time to devote to the situation should there be any problems then I'd say go for it.

I have one of each; the newest is a boy and older than Ruby, they get along just fine so long as he remembers that she's in charge!

It is important to introduce slowly just as you would do with chickens. I've had multiple dogs before, often short-term fosters, and they will usually get along well with care.

I swear by an excellent behaviourist/trainer called Jim Greenwood, who will go anywhere inthe country to train and advise.

Good luck Ste