wayside

2 eglu's or 1 cube???? Advice please

Hi there, bit of advice please. I have 4 lovely girls living very happily in their eglu, however I am wanting another 4 chickens in the near future.

The question is do I purchase a cube or another eglu? :think:

Obviously it would be easier on my pocket to purchase another eglu but I'm not sure if this would work. My girls free range all day so would they put themselves to bed in the correct eglu??!! I wouldn't want one eglu full to the rafters and the other one empty! Would it be better to house them in one big cube or two smaller eglus?? Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated!

I have 2 Eglus in a WIR (4 oldies in one, 3 newbies in the other) and am considering a cube. But I'm glad I had 2 Eglus during the introductions... it meant I could divide the run in half and keep them apart until they were ready to merge. It worked out well for me as I got a bargain 2nd hand (OK not tip top condition) Eglu so much, much cheaper than buying a cube.

Now 6 weeks after we brought the newbies home, they are a flock and put themselves to bed. Only ONCE have I found 6 in one Eglu and 1 in the other and it was the hottest night of the year! I'm only considering a cube as it'll take up less space than the 2 Eglus and possibly the poo trays will be easier to empty (hopefully the neater shape will mean less manhandling than 2 large L-shapes). I currently have them stacked on a home-made trolley but it's eating up floor space so I'll either buy a big table for both Eglus. Or go for a Cube! Hmmmmm... :lol:

I started out with a cube, then got a spare/broody coop from ebay a second hand Forsham ark for £30 - very well made! Then I got a eglu as I had a spate of broodies. I now have six bantams in the cube train/free ranging, a mum and two chicks in the eglu and a mum and chick in the Forsham ark. So what I am saying is .....YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH! :lol::lol: Also I think the cube is better than the eglu, sorry to those who love eglu's, they are good but the cube is better :twisted: