Guest Narnia

re: Frontline flea spray

When I recently had to take one of my poorly hens to the Vet (all better now) she recommended using Frontline Flea spray. Does anyone have an opinion on this? GNRGNRGNR(white chicken)(white chicken)(white chicken):?

I use frontline spot on, and I was going to buy the spray next as lots of people on another forum recommend it. My vet often has to give me medications which aren't tested for chooks, because so few are, but I trust his judgement. however, some flea treatments, dog and cat shampoo and other things are absolutely deadly to chickens. So it's always best to be careful.

Tilly was given a good soaking with Frontline spray at the Vets (sadly she didn't make it, though nothing to do with Lice)

The Vet would not give me Frontline for my other Hens because they are laying. Frontline is not licensed for Poultry so Vet couldn't say how long the egg withdrawal would be.

well, i don't tend to bother much with egg withdrawal times :oops: I don't give them away during the withdrawal period, but I do generally eat them. But I know that I don't have worms, lice or Mycoplasma.

Oh, and frontline is topical, it doesn't enter the blood stream, so I don't think there would be contamination of the eggs. someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Even though it's topical, I think it acts because the active ingredient is absorbed into the blood stream via the skin and kills the pests when they drink the chickens blood. Having said that, it's unlikely that very much would then pass into the egg, but I suppose that they have to advise caution purely because of lack of evidence to prove otherwise. :?

Frontline is indeed absorbed - that's why it's long lasting. As SnowyHowells said, it affects bugs when the drink the animal's blood (we use it on our cat). I don't think it actually kills them, though. I think the idea is that it makes their eggs sterile, so breaking the lifecycle. It's certainly extremely effective on cats! I would worry about transmission in the eggs, though.

It's the same with the Ivermectin that I use (not licensed for use on poultry). That's for cattle, but is a very effective flea, lice and worm killer. I never bother with egg withdrawal either. My vet says that it's down to personal choice, and unless I'm giving them away or pregnant, I don't need to worry.