Cinnamon

Plagued by wasps?

I once found a hornet nest in a tree in Bushy Park where they let me get close enough to the nest entrance in a tree to get this snap.

2980166741_f330ddbdc4.jpg

Wow, great pic - the detail is amazing! Fascinating creatures.

The Asian Hornet is the one responsible for the massacre in the link. This very aggressive wasp is already in France but not yet reported here in the UK.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that these little devils don't make it across and start invading our country! :pray:

I'm OK with protecting our native species as that is more about conservation, just like the grey and red squirrel debate! It's a shame we don't all get along in harmony, I guess that's a dream world especially where nature is concerned... :lol:

Waspinator! No chemicals, no wasp-killing... http://www.waspinator.co.uk

Have you tried one, beesontoast?

They are pretend wasp nests and are said to work because wasps are territorial and any wasp seeing another nest will presumably not invade that territory.

I think Cinnamon has bought these. I'd be interested to see if they do work. I have a friend who has tried one in her apiary and wasps sit on it planning their day :wink:

Hi all, re the rat glue thing - how come bees don't get stuck to it? I was thinking of using it next to my hives but cant figure out how I would keep them away...

Gary

I'd like to know this too. I installed my nuc this morning and everything went really well but now I can see lots of wasps trying to get in. Would one of these sticky traps kill bees too?