Cinnamon

Plagued by wasps?

Thanks.

I have six home made traps around the beehives baited with fruit juice,jam,mushy fruit and cat food.

Cheap as chips and catch hundreds.

The lakeland version might be more attractive around an outside seating area though. No body would eat in my garden if they had to share the table with my traps ......yuk ....... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mine ignored coke,Dr Pepper & lemonade,even laced with syrup, but the Lakeland stuff had an almost instant result.

This time of year they should be looking for proteins rather than sugars,which is why cat food & sausages can lure them in,but this pretty coloured liqued is much more pleasing to look at & smell :lol:

It also has the bonus of being unattractive to Bees 8)

I bought a couple of waspinators but they don't seem to be doing much as we still have loads of wasps in the garden - I will try blowing up a balloon in them to see if that helps by keeping their shape better. Actually, it seems to be really early to have so many, as I am sure its closer to September that they all start coming our to sting, er, I mean play. Its a good idea with the mouse trap, but much as I don't like wasps, I lthink the idea they starve to death on a sticky bit of card really horrible :( I wish there was some humane way of deterring them from gardens, without harming them.

Reading the Waspinator blurb,it says that they won't work if there is a nest with a queen already in the vicinity.

I must say that my one does seem to have had an affect :D

That said,the 3 wasp traps I have in the trees,full of the attractant are full every evening :lol:

Urm, I just wanted to quickly say that I was quite surprised to find this thread. As on so many of the other threads I've seen people post this and that about how bad animal cruelty is, yet here is everyone discussing how to best go about killing another living being, like it's acceptable because it's smaller.

I'm not saying this for a reaction I am just genuinely and honestly :shock: as surely cruelty is cruelty no matter the size or species of a living creature? That is all, please feel free to ignore my ramblings... :lol:

Don't be until you see this perhaps? Watch it all.

Imagine going down to your hive one morning and finding such carnage.

Wasps rob hives and take honey and grubs to feed their young.

A lot of us are defending our bees. Are 30000 bees less valued than a few hornets and wasps?

WOW that was incredible - thanks for that link. I had no idea hornets could do so much damage to a bee colony. Hornets are quite rare in the UK though aren't they? Do you know if our smaller wasps cause the same level of carnage?

I still find it difficult to see the line of what is right for us to kill and what is wrong for us to kill, surely it's either all right, or all wrong? I don't know, perhaps it's a question that there isn't really an answer to, or one that changes depending on what species we want to preserve. I just feel that every action has a consequence and that somewhere along the food chain, the balance will be disturbed and surely allowing one breed to flourish could cause another to plunge into extinction and in reality that is no different to discrimination? Don’t get me wrong, I do understand where you’re coming from re the honey and bee situation, but morally I think it’s still a difficult one.

I do think it wrong to kill anything wantonly and I wouldn't dream of any action against wasps in my garden and I can't see why they disturb people so much. I left a nest alone in my wall last year.

I DO have traps in the apiary, however. Wasps can cause severe problems to weak colonies.

You are right in regarding hornets as relatively rare, they are confined to wooded areas in the south. I once found a hornet nest in a tree in Bushy Park where they let me get close enough to the nest entrance in a tree to get this snap.

2980166741_f330ddbdc4.jpg

They are not aggressive unless threatened.

The Asian Hornet is the one responsible for the massacre in the link. This very aggressive wasp is already in France but not yet reported here in the UK.