karlotta

Operation Code-name - *Runner Duck*

I've been debating getting some ducks for a while now and after much discussion and web-browsing I decided that while I adore eglus (can you tell from my signature!?) I'm not sure any of them are quite tall enough for the runner ducks that I've set my heart on.

So I'm facing the prospect of clearing out the 6x8 shed that is currently full of a load of junk in order to house them!

I'm pretty sure it's watertight and will of course check the doors etc are predator proof. Other than that what do I need in there? I'm thinking of replacing the glass with wire mesh for ventilation (maybe with a shutter for the extra cold weather) and some lino on the floor to make it easier to clean out.

Any other ideas? I assume I don't need nestboxes (and perches!!) and that they'll just snuggle down in the aubiose (will this be ok?) to go to sleep.

Will a shed be ok for just a few (to start with!!! - I know my addictive personality!!) or will they rattle around and get cold in the winter?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hi Karlotta

I think you have it pretty well covered. I've never used aubiose (can't even pronounce it :D ) but I seem to remember someone (may have been Tom) saying that aubiose isn't great as they may try and eat it and it would tend to block their nostrils. I'd stick to shavings or straw.

Good Luck - let us know how you get on :wink:

That's interesting about the aubiose (i still mumble it's name at the feed store because I'm not 100% sure if I'm pronouncing it right!).

It transpires that my shed roof is a bit leaky so I've had to speak nicely to my uncle who's 'volunteered' to re-do the felt on top!

Maybe a light for those winter nights, there are quite cheap solar ones you can get with a remote control, batteries last about a month in the winter and most of the summer without a mains charge, easy to install.

Standard chopped straw is quite cheap and there is some available with eucalyptus.

Carl

Ooh it's Got a light! Eucalyptus straw sound nice! My new shed roof is going on as we speak!

Do I need particular feeders for ducks to accommodate bills rather than beaks?

You need shallow dishes or bowls for ducks as they scoop their feed rather than peck it up. Use pellets not mash as mash will clog their nostrils.

I'm almost disappointed that I can probably find a dish to suit in my collection - I do love buying a nice new feeder.

Depending on the age of the ducks, I understand I can feed standard layers/growers to ducks. Or is it better to look for a duck food?

Going to crack on with clearing the garage after work today so the bits in the shed that need to stay, have a new home.

The outside of the shed was treated as well as a new roof yesterday - the shed is raised up a bit so think I may need to fashion a step/ramp too.

All sounds good so far!

Personally, for your first ducks, I would go for Runners but thats my opinion! Why not go and have a look at both (if poss) and speak to a breeder and see what they think will suit your setup better. I have a feeling Muscovies are good flyers?

:)

All sounds good so far!

Personally, for your first ducks, I would go for Runners but thats my opinion! . I have a feeling Muscovies are good flyers?

:)

I agree, go for Runners, they are wonderful little souls. Muscovies are good flyers, but the last ones I had were happy where they were and didn't fly away. The ones we have at the moment are still very young so haven't made any attempts to escape yet. They are wonderful too though!! As you say, decisions, decisions. Another thought though, Aylesburys are great little characters too and lay loads of scrummy eggs. :D

Here they are!!

They do seem quite nervous and have spent most of the day in the shed! Especially when they saw Martha and Lola (newfies and rather different from the Border Collies they are used to!). They have plenty of space in there (plus food and water) so I guess they'll venture out in their own time!

4959780861_aab214493b.jpg

Runner Ducks by *karlotta*, on Flickr