Thanks for all the tips folks. I have citronella oil so am about to waft that about outside.

I'm going to get some auboise as well as it does sound very good at absorbing all things pooey!!

Before I got the girlies I phoned the council to see if there are any bylaws against keeping chickens and there aren't so as long as I keep everything spotless I can't see that she has much cause to complain.

But she will, but I'm ready :wink::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Make sure you check your deeds as well. It's not byelaws that usually prevent the keeping of chickens, but the deeds of individual houses. (I expect you are all right, as your neighbour would probably have told you already if she had the law on her side.)

I don't find that chickens smell much at all, and I am not over-fussy about cleaning. Your neighbour just needs convincing now; but you will have to keep it up, and make sure you don't get rats, unlike many people on this forum who didn't notice the tunnels under my (er I mean their) eglu.

I have aubiose and it smells lovely. It is treated with citronella to keep the flies away and seems to work well. My girls have a run inside a homemade run and they have aubiose in the eglu run. In the outer area I just rake it when it gets messy and if it is particularly pooey put down a few handfuls of aubiose there as well. It seems to do the trick and certainly is not a fly infested chicken hole!! The other thing may be to use bokashi bran - to feed them and in the poo tray it neutraliese smells and significantly reduces the volume of poo created by my girls - and it makes fab compost too!!

I have aubiose and it smells lovely. It is treated with citronella to keep the flies away and seems to work well. My girls have a run inside a homemade run and they have aubiose in the eglu run. In the outer area I just rake it when it gets messy and if it is particularly pooey put down a few handfuls of aubiose there as well. It seems to do the trick and certainly is not a fly infested chicken hole!! The other thing may be to use bokashi bran - to feed them and in the poo tray it neutraliese smells and significantly reduces the volume of poo created by my girls - and it makes fab compost too!!

Chicken Licken, I haven't come across anyone else who like me, has retained the eglu run inside a homemade run. :D I have found it really useful on occasions. At night, I have 3 lines of defense - the home-made run, the eglu run and the eglu door. So even, as now, if i keep the eglu open, a fox would still have to get into my run and then into the eglu run. It helps me to sleep more soundly when I hear the foxes!

What a meanie she is, but as others have said, all you can do is remain reasonable.

I do all of the above; my chooks have Hemcore in the eglu and run, I put kitchen paper pads with drops of citronella and eucalyptus oils under the shade and use barrier mite powder (which smells divine) in the nest.

Let us know how you get on. Some of us experienced similar problems with neighbours inthe first avian flu panic, but were able to allay fears easily

Our girls run does smell sometimes but at worst it just smells a bit farmy which i don't mind. Our garden is quite big and long so their run is right at the bottom as far away from houses as possible which seems to work for us - no complaints as yet :D

We do however get quite a lot of flies in the run - wit 6 chickens it's quite a lot of poo........but the girls chase them round and catch them so they kind of solve their own problem :lol:

One thing I do is to spritz everything with a Tea Tree solution once I have cleaned it,then let it dry in the sun (if there is any!)

I just got a plant spray,filled it with water,added a few drops of Tea tree Oil

It smells lovely & is nice & antibacterial,too :D

Like Clare I also dust Red Mite Powder in the nest box, & around the inside of the Eglu as well.It smells great.

Good luck Cabbagepatch.

Keep us informed,won't you?