Oh dear - you might say that you would be prepared to wait and see this summer and if there is a problem you would consider moving it.

Neighbours :roll:

does her waste bin attract flies? Poppycock to her if she said that to me !!

Flies are always about and NOT just because you have chickens...in the summer its hot and there are always flies. End Of !!! :)

Take no notice, stick to your guns. If she comes again tell her to buy some fly spray and a citronella candle.

:lol:

Do you own your home cabbagepatch?

I am a council tenant and must consider my neighbours very carefully as if they complain I would be made to get rid of my chooks or face eviction.

Therefore, and assuming your neighbour was polite when she came around, I would suggest a civil conversation where you explain that since her visit you have researched to see if flies are likely to be a problem and you believe you have taken all possible precautions in your choice of housing, bedding, garden lime and so on to prevent nuisance. Be clear that modern, backyard chicken keeping is a far cry from when everyone kept chooks during the war (which is where most portents of doom originate)

mention that you also detest flies and they're near your house too!

and with that point in mind, if despite your best efforts problems do arise you will reconsider your options and discuss them with her at that time.

then if she's still vile....hit her :lol:

If she persists with this nonsense, I'd ask her to provide you with the research and evidence upon which she has based this rubbish. If she doesn't....like Tara says.......deck her.

If she complains to Environmental health or whatever, and they do a spot check, your Eglu will be absolutely pristine, smelling divinely of citronella and lavender and you can give the officer some eggs.

If she becomes a nuisance, ask her to put her comments in writing......that usually stops people.....

Don't be confrontational, or she will complain every time the chickens cluck.

A dirty hen-house would be a problem; to put her mind at rest, all you have to do is to show her how clean it is. Empty the poo tray daily: that is the only thing that will attract flies (not the chickens, and not their pellets).

Have you put the Eglu near a patio where they eat? That could justifiably be viewed as an unwise choice of position.

I don't find flies a problem at all. (Rats are a different kettle of fish, but for goodness' sake don't get on to that subject with her!)

Give her some eggs now and then.....she'll get over her self eventually.

Gallina is right....don't be confrontational (I was joking earlier when I suggested decking her! I'm sure you realise that)....calm but firm is the best way.

If she makes broad statements and demands that you act on them, she has to back them up with evidence though. A "because I say so" attitude isn't helpful.

A spotless Eglu will not be the cause of swarms of flies.

Another good tip from Gallina......don't mention rats!

Do you own your home cabbagepatch?

I am a council tenant and must consider my neighbours very carefully as if they complain I would be made to get rid of my chooks or face eviction.

Therefore, and assuming your neighbour was polite when she came around, I would suggest a civil conversation where you explain that since her visit you have researched to see if flies are likely to be a problem and you believe you have taken all possible precautions in your choice of housing, bedding, garden lime and so on to prevent nuisance. Be clear that modern, backyard chicken keeping is a far cry from when everyone kept chooks during the war (which is where most portents of doom originate)

mention that you also detest flies and they're near your house too!

and with that point in mind, if despite your best efforts problems do arise you will reconsider your options and discuss them with her at that time.

then if she's still vile....hit her :lol:

I would be wary of inflamming the situation. If you tell her where to go it may escalate. I would agree with Tara, you have to live next door to these people.You just have to assure her there should not be a problem. Is the run pretty much immovable?

Since my original post I think the neighbour from hell is gearing up for a bigtime fight.

We have tolerated her dog barking barking barking for years. Suddenly she is keeping him in nearly all the time. I know her style, she is a bully and WILL be making a huge fuss very soon. I just know it.

So, am keeping both the eglu and coop/run spotless and we have put down rat bait (suspect some are lurking :twisted: ) as a just in case.

Please can anyone tell me about auboise? I understand it absorbs pooey smells!

Today I used a teatree dilution after I cleaned everything out. Is this ok or is there something better?

I am determined that my girls are the cleanest, most gorgeous girls in the county so when she marches in with an environmental health officer she won't have a leg to stand on.

Alll advice gratefully received please.

Sorry to hear about your neighbour cabbagepatch - awful if they decide to go to war isn't it? :evil:

I've been using aubiose in the poop tray and nest box along with shredded paper. That seems to keep things nice and clean. Had a good spring clean though last week and scrubbed everything down with ecover multisurface cleaner. Replaced roosting bars with clean set (have 2 sets so can scrub one set and leave to dry), dusted everything with red mite powder. Now smells very sweet! A week later and can only really smell chicken if I stick my head right in through the egg port :roll:

Are yours on grass or bark chips? I moved mine off the bark temporarily to take advantage of the nice lush grass, but the poop does seem to attract more flies when on grass. I think it seems to be absorbed better on bark (and from what I've heard, aubiose in the run is better still).

Hope this helps. :D

I've had my girls for 19 months and I don't wash everything down every day. I change the tray once a week, twice in the winter, and wash it all down once a month. I'm not good about changing the run, so just hose in garden lime if it starts to smell - maybe twice a year.

I am admitting all this sloppy behaviour just for you! I have never had a problem with flies. :D

Good luck CP! It sounds like you have the cleanest Eglu and most sweet smelling girls on the forum! :D

Aubiose is wonderful stuff and I can thoroughly recommend it in the poop tray. It dries up the poo and stops it from smelling amazingly.

Can I also make a sneaky suggestion? Why not buy some horse fly spray and spray the Eglu itself with it occasionally (ie the outside, rounded bit). This will ensure that should anyone pay a surprise vist, there will be no flies anywhere near it! Or make your own concoction, with citronella? Kate might have a good home made recipe.....

Just don't let your neighbour see you doing it: The more she sees you taking measures, the more she will be convinced there is a problem?

I am presuming that there is nothing in your deeds preventing you from keeping chickens? If there is, no amount of cleanliness will beat her! :evil:

What a horrible situation!

I have just bought pure cintronella oil from Holland and Barratt. I put 1 drop in the droppings tray and 1 drop on 2 pieces of kitchen roll which i hide under the run shades. No flies as yet and we were inundated last year. :shock::shock:

We live near a farm, so loads of flies, but none near the eglu :D

I hope it all works out for the best!

She doesn't have the right to march onto your property. If she does tip up with an environmental health officer, let him/her in....but stand firm against the neighbour entering your property if you don't want her to.

I swear by Stalosan F....it has a nice medicated kind of smell and is very absorbent.

And garden lime works wonders on the ground when it gets pongy.....you only have to use it a couple of times a year.

All the best....neighbour situations are very difficult.