punxatoni

Choices choices

Hello from another newbie to the world of Omlet!

Well so far I have painstakingly lifted my 6m x 3m patio up and prepared the ground for my (red eglu) , which has now arrived!!! Exciting stuff but can I chose which hens to get, can I heck :)

My criteria I thought was fairly simple.... light, non broody, kid friendly, not too flighty and lay a reasonable amount. Am I asking too much? I am struggling to find any after hours / days of research.

Any suggestions, very much appreciated as the set up is just taunting me now to be used! :o

Cheers Phil

Phil I swear by Ginger Nut Rangers. They're a friendly, hardy bird that give a good amount of eggs. They're a hybrid bird - no doubt one of the purists will be on later to say why theirs are best. :D

How old are the kids? Ginger Nuts are friendly enough and are regularly handled by visiting nieces (6 and 8 ) - I am always rather boring when they visit though and won't let them put their faces too near the chicken. I think this is just commonm sense as any animal if it sees your lips or eyes and thinks "that's a meal" it's inclines to take a peck to find out - even if it has a great temprement.

Good Luck :wink:

You don't have to stick to one breed, if you can't decide , then get one of everything ( ok, maybe not literally :oops::lol: ) I like warrens ( gingernut rangers) but they are hybrids and tend to stop laying sooner than a purebred- mine was also the first of my original 6 to 'pop her clogs' :( Light Sussex are good layers and pretty to look at, mine is docile and is one of my sons favourites along with Faverolles and Silkies- though you won't get too many eggs from a silkie, they are far too busy trying to hatch them :lol: My speckledy is also a reliable layer but looks perpetually grumpy !

Phil I swear by Ginger Nut Rangers. They're a friendly, hardy bird that give a good amount of eggs. They're a hybrid bird - no doubt one of the purists will be on later to say why theirs are best. :D

How old are the kids? Ginger Nuts are friendly enough and are regularly handled by visiting nieces (6 and 8 ) - I am always rather boring when they visit though and won't let them put their faces too near the chicken. I think this is just commonm sense as any animal if it sees your lips or eyes and thinks "that's a meal" it's inclines to take a peck to find out - even if it has a great temprement.

Good Luck :wink:

Thanks for your reply.These are a serious contender but are they a larger hen, I am really conscious (prob too much) on size ratio to space and as I am after three, I really don't want to overcrowd as I have seen what happens. Nieces are similar age so glad they are friendly towards the wee ones :)

I would say light sussex LF but the pure breed.

Any pure breed really :)

Lovely hens, are they similar size to a scots dumpy or pekin?

You don't have to stick to one breed, if you can't decide , then get one of everything ( ok, maybe not literally :oops::lol: ) I like warrens ( gingernut rangers) but they are hybrids and tend to stop laying sooner than a purebred- mine was also the first of my original 6 to 'pop her clogs' :( Light Sussex are good layers and pretty to look at, mine is docile and is one of my sons favourites along with Faverolles and Silkies- though you won't get too many eggs from a silkie, they are far too busy trying to hatch them :lol: My speckledy is also a reliable layer but looks perpetually grumpy !

Cheers for your reply, I am purely after them for their eggs and educational benefits. I am hooked to making fresh pasta ! Faverolles seem lovely, again what are they like size wise? Was hoping on getting three different breeds (as long as they get on)

Is it me or is it a bit of a minefield :wall::roll:

Hi! You must be so excited getting them!

I dont know where you are in the country, but we just went along to our local chicken place (Cotswold Chickens) who had a nice selection of Hybrids. We got four large hens very comfortable in an Eglu Go and all of ours are different to make it easier for the children to identify. They are all placid and laying regularly. The children can handle them and I love the fact that they are all different colours. We have a Goldline, a Bluebelle, a Daisybelle and a Black Star. Being novices we chose them based on their temperament and egg laying. I am sure the pure breeds are lovely as well and maybe next year when we add to our girls we will consider other options.

Good luck with whatever you choose, it is very rewarding! :dance:

I am purely after them for their eggs and educational benefits. I am hooked to making fresh pasta !

I am not an expert but I believe that you will get less eggs per year from a pure breed. We have four chickens and on average I get 2 or 3 eggs per day, if I get 4 we are very pleased! It sounds alot but actually it isnt enough for us. We like eggs, I love to bake but I also want to be able to give some to the neighbours now and again. I could do with a couple more eggs per day! :roll:

As for space, I think if you have a run extension 3 or 4 would be fine during the day. :D

Had you considered bantams? Though the eggs are smaller they have a bigger yolk:white ratio. We have a couple of hybrids (Daisybelles) but went to visit a friend recently who has bantam Rhode Island Reds which are gorgeous, small and don't trash the garden! You might even consider 4 bantams rather than 3 full size.

Sorry if expanding the options has just made it harder :wink:

What about a lavender araucana as they lay blue eggs and are very pretty. They are pure breeds, but are smaller than a large fowl hen and lay small blue eggs. The info on the internet says they are flighty, but mine isn't and also loves a cuddle. Then also get two hybrids so you always have about 2 eggs a day. I always recommend a columbian blacktail as mine is friendly, inquisitive and lays a large brown egg every day.

Some great suggestions here, thank you very much indeed for your help so far. They all look and review so well. What can I say, you all obviously have good taste. :D

Aggienator - where did you source your ladies from?

Am back to the "I'm excited" stage now, rather than daunted / overwhelmed by choice.

:dance::dance:

We have 3 mixed bantams - a light sussex, a new hampshire red and a wyandotte. They get on fine together (all came form the same place at around POL) My favourite is the light sussex, but all the girls have their own personality traits and are really good fun. Although they are smaller they have trashed some of the garden, but we've just fenced off the bits where we don't want them to go. I'm sure whatever you decide on you will thoroughly enjoy your chooks :D:D

You say you are clearing a 3m x 6m area for the chooks. Will the run be this size ? if so you have plenty of room for 3 large fowl chooks, if you can confirm the size your run will be we may be able to help you narrow your choice :)

Sorry that was a tad misleading of me. I have cleared and layed out the grounds for them which is 6m x 3m but as I work 9-5 I will have them in the standard run during this time (without extension). Once I am home, then sure they will be out and about a bit more but realistically they are run bound.

You say you are clearing a 3m x 6m area for the chooks. Will the run be this size ? if so you have plenty of room for 3 large fowl chooks, if you can confirm the size your run will be we may be able to help you narrow your choice :)

Sorry that was a tad misleading of me. I have cleared and layed out the grounds for them which is 6m x 3m but as I work 9-5 I will have them in the standard run during this time (without extension). Once I am home, then sure they will be out and about a bit more but realistically they are run bound.

Ah right, I don't have an Eglu so will have to leave it to the experts as to what would best suit your run, though I think the general opinion is that the run without extension is too small for 3 large fowl ?( I may be wrong ) in which case, bantams would be the way to go.