I've had my little flock for about 14 months now.

About 6 weeks ago one of the girls started to go bald above the base of her tail. I thought perhaps she was moulting but was worried Ollie would break the skin when he was treading her. I got her a saddle to protect her which was fine and didn't bother her. After a few weeks I took it off as her wings were looking sore, I've since realised the saddle had nothing to do with this she was just loosing feathers from the wings. Also she was still bald underneath. She now looks very tatty as does one of the other girls and Ollie the cockerel. The 3rd girl is fine. There has been a slowing of laying but still about 4- 5 eggs a week each.

So is this moulting? I've checked for lice mites etc and they seem fine. But the 3 of them have horrible bald patches that seem to show no signs of growing back :( Also Ollies bald areas are alarmingly red. I have been giving them poultry spice but they end up leaving it at the bottom of their feed bowls.

I've taken some pics but can't get them on my laptop atm so can't put them up. Has anyone got a pic of a moulting bird ?am worrying about mine now. they were so beautiful and now they look like rescues and have done for weeks is this normal?

I can't help, I'm afraid I'm too new to this, but will be watching the advice that will surely follow. I have more feathers in my run than a feather shop, although not any bald patches as such. I do think that you are suppose to mix the poultry spice with something wet, so that it stucks to the food, and that way they eat it all. Plum said the other day to me that she mixes her pellets with a bit of warm water, and maybe some left over veg etc, and put the spice into that, and they gobble it up. Anyway, I'm sure more advice about the bald patches will be along shortly! :D

Thats interesting heidi-hi that you have lots of feathers. Thats more in line with what I would have expected. I have also considered feather pulling with mine but am convinced it's not that either.

I did try making the pellets wet and adding the spice but then they turned their beaks up at it :roll: In the cold weather they had warmed oats which they loved so maybe I'll try that :)

One of my girls is having a moult at the moment (thank goodness she's getting started BEFORE the winter - they moulted throughthe snow last year :shock: )

Basically, if they look really tatty and the run looks like a pillow fight, then they are moulting.

The skin can go red when exposed so don't be too alarmed about that.

If it was depluming mite, the birds pull their own feathers out (they don't drop out) this is to try and alleviate the irritation.

Hope this is helpful (and hope your birds are soon refeathered and beautiful!)