TESSANN

Difference between a cube and an eglu

Hi there,

After a spell of not keeping hens due to domestic circumstances I am pleased to say that I am now looking forward to getting more girls.

I used to have an eglu in a walkin run but am thinking of getting a cube this time.

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of the cube compared to the eglu, apart from it being bigger and able to house more hens of course. :dance:

I am unsure wether to go for an other eglu or upgrade to a cube.

Thanks

Rosemary x

I have had my (cube green) for just two days and already I can say that it will save my back.

It is at the right height for me to be able to clean it, collect the eggs etc without having to bend down.

Also the wheels are very handy for moving it around the run although idealy it is a two man job.

:wink:

Bramble, it's obviously in the name, I had my eglu classic for two months before I ordered a cube. Now I have both!

(see pics on my door relocation thread)

Brambles.

Wish you'd told me that before I started!!!!!! :lol::lol: It went wrong from the start, I was going to have ONE eglu with a NORMAL run and TWO chucks. I've already got THREE chucks and a run EXTENSION on my eglu and like I say this is just a few weeks in ...

Congrats on the great name though ... great minds think alike!!!! :dance:

Hi I am new to chickens only having my four for one week 2 days. I took some time deciding and eventually went for the cube with extra run and netting to allow free ranging. It has been great. The first night I had to pop two in as they fell asleep out side perched on the butler sink. The next night they all went up and it's been like that ever since and Rhoda has laid an egg every day since we bought her home. I think if money and time is no problem a cube with WIR would be the perfect solution. But a cube with extra run and allowing free ranging is the next best solution. The door could be a little higher though!

I have both and the cube is much better. You can adapt the door so you can get in the run, the one and only flaw I have found in the Omlet products. Cleaning the cube is much less back breaking. You can add perches etc to the cube run. You can have more chickens in it. I got my eglu as a broody coop and have converted it to a piglu for my guinea pigs now the chicks have flown the nest (moved into the cube), it is okay as a second home but the cube is the really desirable residence! Both hold their value well so which ever you go for you will not lose out.

I have both and the cube is much better. You can adapt the door so you can get in the run, the one and only flaw I have found in the Omlet products. Cleaning the cube is much less back breaking. You can add perches etc to the cube run. You can have more chickens in it. I got my eglu as a broody coop and have converted it to a piglu for my guinea pigs now the chicks have flown the nest (moved into the cube), it is okay as a second home but the cube is the really desirable residence! Both hold their value well so which ever you go for you will not lose out.

I notice you mention adapting the door of the Cube. Can you tell me what you did to it :?:

My main concern at the moment is how I am going to let my hens out of the Cube in the mornings without going through the WIR and having them all try and get out before I can close the door :?

I love my (cube purple). Tbh I chose it after lots of pacing the garden with a tape measure. I never rush into these things! Even though it's larger, because some of the run is under the cube it takes up less ground space. I also like the thought of the girls going up to bed; it seems more natural somehow. You also have the added rain protection underneath for housing days like today! :cry: Although my daft hens seem to like the rain. :doh:

All that said, I did also buy the Omlet fencing as the cube run isn't really big enough for my 4 to stay in all day.

Also to add that it is really easy to clean. 5 mins every other day to clean out the poo trays and 20 mins every few weeks to give it a good scrub.

Good luck in your choice it's a massive investment but well worth it. :D