Stedic

What to do with old woodchips

Hi everyone,

Perhaps a strange question - I'm drowning in old run coverings!

I've been using woodchips to cover my Eglu run and changing every 6 weeks or so, then carting it off to the tip to be composted. Thats been a hassle but not too bad, though I'm worrying that once I start using it in a WIR I'm going to have so much of the stuff that it'll be a nightmare. There's only so much I can use as a mulch (especially in the winter) and I'm not sure how long it'll take to compost.

What do you do with yours?

Steve

No help at all, but I used to use mine as a mulch around my newly planted hedges, trees and shrubs as they do get absorbed into the ground after a while. However, I stopped using woodchip in my aviary because it takes forever to compost and I use Easibed instead as it breaks down more quickly (though some of it gets hidden amongst the greenery in my brown refuse bin) :shh:

I'm considering changing to Easibed as it happens. I use it in their nest box and in the poo trays and I think its fantastic stuff. The problem will be keeping it dry enough, so I thought I might use it in the summer and then switch to woodchip in the wetter months (all 11.5 of them!).

Hi, I put wood chips in our compost bin provided by the council, only change it 2 or 3 times a year as we have WIR but that generates a huge amount, I do take into consideration the weight as I know that they can refuse to move a bin thats too heavy, so I bag up excess and put it in the bin over a few weeks. Personally wouldn't even attempt to compost it myself as it takes too long to break down.

Regards Theresa