sari

Vulgar question regarding poo size!

I've given the Eglu it's weekly scouring today, whilst OH was hard at work on the WIR.....and I found some HUGE poops in the tray. I realise now that I should have photographed them :mrgreen: to show you.I've even just been rooting in the compost bin for one..but I'll describe. Like a normal dryish well formed poop.,.but huge. White cap and everything. Almost egg sized I looked on the normal poo pics on another forum...and no mention of huge poop. Could they be a precursor to eggs, as I've had none yet! Only one of mine is POL, the others are a few weeks younger. I am sure this is normal...and just hoping it means eggs are coming....or is it just greedy hens?

Sari x x

It's normal - those ones can be the size of a small clementine. And it's a poo from what they have eaten. It's not a sign of eggs coming - crouching and going very red in the face/comb are the best signs of eggs are on their way.

The other sort come from a different bit of the digestive system. These are called cecal droppings and (apparently) occur about every 10 droppings. They are usually lighter brown, sticky and, quite frankly, stink. :vom:

Suddenly my beef stew and dumplings burbling away in the slow cooker do not seem as inviting. :whistle:

Yep...found plenty of those! It was just the difference in size, tbh. Most were what I thought were normal, and there were about 5 the size of...well, my dogs poops. I was hoping it was some sort of pre egg sign :( I don't hold out much hope......someone I was talking to said they might not start laying now, until the spring, because of shortening days. I know egg production slows down....but wouldn't mind one or two before then!

I think it's more on the breed, and the girl herself, of when they start to lay. My first girls started to lay in September and October. One even started in January and she was about 8/9 months old by then.

My brother got his 3 POLs in November two years ago and they all started to lay around Christmas.

I remember the day I collected our girls and was watching them in the run and saw Carlotta's vent 'open' (sorry bit graphic!) and given the um , how to put this? - 'size' thought she was about to lay an egg, when a huge poo came out!! :shock::vom:

Felt really daft for thinking that she was about to lay an egg!! :roll::lol::oops:

I remember the day I collected our girls and was watching them in the run and saw Carlotta's vent 'open' (sorry bit graphic!) and given the um , how to put this? - 'size' thought she was about to lay an egg, when a huge poo came out!! :shock::vom:

Felt really daft for thinking that she was about to lay an egg!! :roll::lol::oops:

Well....being naive, I wondered if they needed had the chook equivalent of practice contractions, to get warmed up, as it were.....oh the shame of being a newbie!!

Edited by Guest