Scotty

Whats the bonus of getting a Cockerel

Hi Chaps

Our exbats seemed to have stopped laying - (they've done well consiering!) However a friend suggested that getting Cockerel might spur them on again. but Im thinking that introducing a cock bird might just cause havoc amongst the girls. Apart from the obvious of "Chicks" (which we're not interested in) whats the bonus of having a Cockerel around ? Would this work? or should we just adjust ourselves to having non egg laying hens :?

Scotty

Hi,

I am not really sure about the presence of a cockerel being able to spurr a hen in to lay again? Ex batts have a very industrious life so once they get to a certain age their egg production will stop.

A bonus of a cockerel is stopping the henpecking going on, as he is top bird and also we have noticed since having a cockerel there is no alarm calling form the hens when they spot something suspicious, the cockerel will warn them as he is on constant lookout.

Also a very determined cockerel will tread the hens on a daily basis and this can be hard on older hens especially ex batts who sometimes suffer from brittle bones.

Michelle :D

Not sure there is one. Ours ignores the hens until they come into lay- and they do that according to their natural cycle not because of his presence as far as I can see. My Phillip is not particularly interested in the ex-bats who are still laying. I think they are rather elderly ladies to him and he likes the sprightly young things!

And he doesn't sort out arguments- he leaves that to Mrs Phillip!

Tricia

Interesting to see that cockerels like men are all different. :lol:

Sir Minky brings my hens back into lay when they have either been broody or moulting. He is not interested sexually in a hen who is too old to lay, but still roosts with the top hen who hasn't laid an egg for a year. Keeps the hens in order big time and any hen that picks on another he appears from nowhere and gives the offending girl a hard peck on the back. Then protects the weaker bird.

I have read of some ex batts that have hatched chicks. :D

Good on Sir Minky :) Our little Silkie cockerel, Dill, also seems to protect the weaker hen and keeps good order all the while clearly having his favourites - at the moment a younger chook who lays the most eggs. :wink: I also think our cockerel has helped integrate new birds. We introduce any new hens to him first and then he seems to tell the others that 'this here gal is good to join my set'.

Also Dill is such a character. I wouldn't be without him or his like. He has a real litle general strut and seems totally unaware that he is vertically challenged. :lol:

Silkie cockerels may not be the most showy (a friend has a much showier Pekin cockerel) but they are nice natured.

But don't forget the crowing. :whistle: You might want to check out how your neighbours feel about that first. Some people like it and find it 'countryish' but others just hate it.

I wouldn't be without my boy either - he is in charge of the ladies and they act as a proper little flock with him as the leader. They took to him immediately, even tho the oldest girl was already 3 and very much in charge. Its really heartwarming to watch him find the food, give them the food, stand about proudly whilst they eat the food....and slightly less heartwarming to hear him make a racket at stupid o'clock in the morning particularly in the summer; thats the big issue, would your neighbours be alright with the noise? I don't think he'll bring your ex-batts into lay, and my boy is a bit vigorous with the ladies (although he doesn't go near them when they aren't in lay) so thats something to consider as well.